Sunday, January 27, 2008

President Hinckley

(thanks Kathi, I stole this picture off one of your old blog posts :) My parents just called me and told me the sad news that President Hinckley had passed away this evening. It left an empty feeling in my heart, as if a member of my family had passed away. I am so grateful for a living prophet to lead and guide our church. I know that each prophet is called of God and I love and sustain each one, but President Hinckley will always have a special place in my heart. He, in a sense, is "my prophet". He was sustained when I was 15 and was the one whose talks, example and love got me through those rough teenage years. I love his smile. I love his sense of humor. I love his unconditional love for his sweet wife. I love his unconditional love for the members of the church. I love the emphasis he put on temple construction and temple work. I love his example of service. I love his energy--nothing ever slowed him down, even at 97 years old! What an amazing man. I remember when I lived in Georgia, we had the opportunity to attend a meeting and listen to President Hinckley and his sweet wife, Marjorie. The spirit was so strong the moment he walked in the room, and that in itself was such an incredible witness that this man truly was called of God. I'm also grateful that my kids were able to get to know him as a prophet before he passed away. As sad and heartbreaking as it is to see such a wonderful leader pass on, there is joy knowing that he is with his sweet wife. You could sense the deep love they had and I can just imagine how ecstatic they are to be reunited again... Thank you, we love you and will miss you!

6 comments:

Chelsea said...

oh I know...I just got the text from my friend & my heart sank. But oh, how lovely for him & his wife! I can only imagine how wonderful that was for them. Thats awesome that you got to hear him speak at a meeting, seriously! I bet it was something you'll never forget. He was just the cutest man ever.

Cammi said...

What a sweet post Jamie. When I heard, I just gasped. So sad for us all, yet I know what joy he must be feeling now. He really was the sweetest man. There are so many things I will remember about him.

DAVE AND CANDACE BOLLARD said...

I feel the same way. He is "my prophet." He was such a great man. I feel like we have had so many changes in the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve since our childhood. I do feel happy that he is able to be with his wife again.

Brooklyn said...

Jamie, wasn't he just the most charismatic, charming man/prophet. How bless we all are to have been touched my this amazing leader. I am so happy for him to be free of illness and celebrating eternity with his family and wife. That is a precious picture. He was always smiling!

Unknown said...

Love all your thoughts and words about our Prophet. What a blessing to be able to have such a great leader! Thanks for letting me have a glimps at your book. Can I have a better look sometime so I can make sure I do mine right?

Janessa said...

What a nice tribute. You are such an eloquent writer. He will be loved and missed. Knowing that he is in a better place with his sweet wife makes it a little easier.