Thursday, January 17, 2008

Higher Education


As I was putting Kylie to bed last night she asked, "oh mom, did you read my black skinned man book that I made today?" It caught me off guard so she continued to explain to me all about Martin Luther King, jr. and related a kindergartener's version of the freedom movement. In her words: "Martin Luther King's birthday is on Monday, so we have to think about him because black people used to ride in the back of the bus and now they can sit wherever, isn't that cool? They couldn't go to the same school or the same restraunt because the black people didn't have enough money. They were sad because the black people and the white people were best friends and they couldn't play together anymore. Wouldn't that be sad if I had to go to a different school than Noelle because I'm Chinese? The black people wanted to kill the white people (hmm, should I be at all concerned about what they're teaching her?) so Dr. King had marches. My teacher calls him doctor, but I don't think he was a real doctor. So, they had lots and lots of marches. And because of all the marches everyone is free. So now anybody can sit where they want on the bus. And I like black people too. I play with Jariel and Gavin even though they're black (they're actually Asian and hispanic, she's just a little sheltered here in Gilbert). I even love Daddy even though he's black". There you have it. Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.

Oh, she also told me that three boys had to go to the principal's office today because they kept drawing hearts with her and her friend's names in them and even drew arrows in the hearts. Oh help me, it's just beginning.

10 comments:

Janessa said...

That's some good learnin' there! I love that she throws anybody without white skin into the "black" category. I'm not at all suprised that she already has little boys drawing hearts with her name in it. She's just so darn cute!

MommyRohner said...

That's hysterical. Daxton's explanation wasn't nearly as detailed or accurate. I could tell that his teacher had kind of skirted the real issues. Not sure which way is better.

Jodee said...

That is adorable, don't you wish it was really that simple sometimes? We miss you Kylie, come see us soon (don't tell you mom but I will have a whole jar of Vienna Sausages waiting for you and I will even let you feed them to Madison!) ps- I tried to tell Ronnie the Vieanna Sausage story and he totally didn't think it was funny, I on the other hand, was PEE-E-ING my pants!

Crystal said...

I had a good talk with Emma today, too, but not quite as entertaining. Gosh, I never noticed that Jason was black.

Marisa said...

That is so hilarious! I'm stareing right now as I write this at yoru blurb book and although I just made a comment below...I can't believe how awesome it looks! So you can probably tell how easily distracted I am, right?

Janessa said...

What's the vieanna sausage story? Sounds like a good one. Share it with us.

Chelsea said...

LOVE IT! So funny, Brayden came home on Friday wearing a MLK necklace & he told me, "He was a good guy who changed alot of rules that were very bad." I think his teacher sidestepped some things as well, when I told him the rules were unfair for black people, he just said, "No. just people that were different." How funny. Good post!

Alisa Larson said...

Okay, that girl is seriously funny! And how does Jason feel that he's black now? :-) Too cute!

Michelle Y. said...

That is the funniest thing I have heard in a long time, Jason's black!! Trevor came home from school and said that his teacher said the people were being "stupid" to the black people. We don't let Trevor say that word but he was like, "My teacher said it's ok if I say that when I talk about how mean the people were being to the black people." Wow...Thanks for the education...

Angie Whitman said...

That was so much information. I mostly get in response to all my question about her day "good." Unless its about Daniel...then she tells me some outlandish story (I think she is trying to throw me off, but I'm on to her and her subtle ways). Plus, I have an informant...her teacher tells me how Makenzie will pick up his pencil for him (without being asked), etc. Well...that is quite the education!
I never even got a chance to ask you at our meeting if you brought your blog book (I did think about it during the mtg)!Next time!:)