Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Happy Un-Birthday!

While I was getting ready in the morning before we headed out to the Riparian Preserve, Kylie came into the bathroom and brought me an invitation that she had made. It was for a birthday party that she was throwing for Jayden. It was so cute, she had gotten all of the old gift bags and filled them with prized posessions from her treasure drawer. She also had every one of their stuffed animals in attendance. We started out by playing different games, then we sang and had pretend cake, then Jayden loved opening all of the presents. What a sweet sister, I love their cute little friendship. They definately do have their days of constant fighting, so I savor each of these sweet little moments.

As sweet as they are at times, they both have their weaknesses that we are working on--namely lying and censoring. Lately Kylie has had the worst habit of telling little white lies. I can't tell if it's just her imagination running wild, or what, but it's to the point where I have to question everything that comes out 0f her mouth. It's not big things she lies about, it's just small insignificant stories that she comes up with (and she is a very convincing liar too). Like on the way home from church she was telling me how her and Jayden got to go up to the front at primary and help with the singing. Innocent enough, too bad it was all totally false. So I had enough and devoted our next family home evening to honesty. One of my new year's resolutions is to be better about FHE. Monday nights are crazy because Kylie has her gymnastics until 6:30 and Jason usually doesn't get home until after the kids are in bed, so we've been having FHE on Sunday nights and it has worked out really well. So we had a whole little lesson about honesty and I was just hoping some of it sunk in. That night Kylie was putting her pj's on and came out of her room just sobbing. The kind of hysterical crying where I knew something bad had happened. After I got her calmed down enough, she told me that she was crying because she felt bad because she had lied to her friend, Noelle and told her that she had a pet cat. It was such a great teaching moment and I was so glad that something in the lesson had clicked for her. Ever since then she has been working really hard to always tell the truth (or atleast say "just kidding" when the urge to elaborate to comes on) and it was a nice reminder for me of the importance of Family Home Evening.

Jayden on the other hand, is still a work in progress with his latest "weakness". That kid needs a censor button. I'm nervous to take him into public because I never know what will come out of his mouth. It started out earlier in the week when I was at my neighbor's house and he needed to use the potty. I went in to help him as my friend was right outside the door and the first thing he said, rather loudly is "ewww, it stinks in here!" Then continues to talk about how dirty the bathroom was, "It so gross in here!", "Look at all the garbage!", "There's pee-pee on the toilet!" And it went on and on, there was no stopping him. When I came out, I'm not sure who was more emberassed, me or her. Then the next day we were standing in line and Jayden points to the man right next to us and says loudly (of course--the only volume control he comes with is loud and louder), "him looks weird!" How do you recover from that? There's no denying what he was saying or who he was talking about. I thought that was bad, but don't worry, it gets worse. So a couple days later we're in the restroom at the grocery store and as I'm helping him wash his hands, another lady comes and washes her hands in the sink next to us. We are the only people in the bathroom, and the only sound is the peaceful trickle of running water--until Jayden opens his mouth and points that dreaded finger. "Mom, look! Her looks like a boy! Her has on boy shoes! Her has boy hair!" I finally started shoving the paper towel that I was using to dry his hands into his mouth in an effort to put an end to the humiliation. But the damage was already done. Shoot me now. Then yesterday we were driving in the car, so thankfully there were no extra ears around to hear--although I know he would have zero reservations about saying this in public--when he spotted a lady from India walking on the sidewalk wearing the traditional robes and scarves over her head when Jayden says, "look Mom, it's Mary!" In his defense, the scarf over her head did resemble what Kylie wore during the nativity play....I've just made a mental note to myself to avoid getting within ear shot of anyone that might peak his curiosity, because heaven knows what might come out of that boy's mouth!

One thing that he says that is cute, though, is his prayers. I always love hearing little kids pray and for some reason Jayden thinks that prayers are an opportunity to recount every event of the day. A typical prayer for Jayden is "Dear Heavenly father, bless us today we ate cereal, then I not eat my food and go time out. I go to preschool with mommy and do patterns. (then he opens his eyes and asks, "what I do next, mommy?") oh yeah, I read Duck story. ("what I do next, mommy?")...and continues until the day is complete and then ends with a triumphant, "AMEN!" It's so sweet and I'm sure it puts a little smile on Heavenly Father's face too :)

So yes, my kids aren't always angels, but I sure love those moments where they come pretty darn close!

16 comments:

Michelle Y. said...

So stinken' cute about Jayden's prayers. I love that he does a recount of his day. I am glad that I haven't been victim of his honesty, I haven't noticed that yet. I am surprised that it wasn't my bathroom he was talking about since I have been working hard to teach Tanner to "aim" since he now insists on standing up. Well, I guess I can't assume it wasn't my bathroom he was talking about since you didn't say...HA! HA!

foreveryoung said...

No worries, it definately wasn't your bathroom or any other fellow blogger bathrooms! I understand your aiming pains, now that Jayden is learning to stand up, I wish I would have kept him sitting!

Crystal said...

That is so sweet she did the birthday party for her brother. Emma used to do that quite often, but it was usually for herself. She would wrap a bunch of her favorite toys and then give them to us to give to her.

Diana said...

Jamie,

I posted the link to the enchilada recipe in that post and in the post for Dinner's Ready. If you click the different colored words I think the one from my site is "Chicken Enchiladas" and Dinner's Ready is "these ones" you'll get to the recipe on Food Network's site. It's so yummy! Popcorn is easy! I usually use my biggest silver bowl--and it's huge--and i'll pop the amount of kernels the popper says it can handle (mine is about 1/4 c. or so) Meanwhile I'll be melting my butter on the stove in my small frying pan(about 3 T.). After the 1st "batch" pops I'll drizzle about 1/2 the butter over it, but mix it around a few times while doing that so the butter gets to the bottom. Then I add some salt. While I'm doing all of that, I've put in a second "batch" of kernals in and pretty much after I'm done with the butter and salt, the stuff is popping out again. I repeat the process of drizzling butter, mixing around, drizzling butter, mixing around. After the butter is gone, I'll scoop out some popcorn with the pan to maximize butter use because there's always the coating on the bottom of the pan--more flavor :) Shake it around a bit and return it to the bowl. I do this a few times, mixing the popcorn in between to get new popcorn each time, too. Then do your final salting and you're done. Such a long explanation for such an easy thing! Mine doesn't usually get soggy--I try to have a steady slow hand with the butter drizzle. I hope you like it. Should I emphasize Orville Redenbacher again? :)

Kelly said...

Jamie, I looooooove your stories about your kids. They make me laugh out loud! I can't wait to have kids who embarass me in public. One time I was in a grocery store behind a man and his kid. There was another guy there who had a huge birthmark on is face, and the kid turned to his dad and said "Dad, what's WRONG with him?" I about died, and I didn't know any of these people! :)

Jodee said...

They ARE angels! I love Jaydens outbursts, it is hilarious. I think I wet my pants laughing about the bathroom, being dirty- it is so funny because he has probably never seen a dirty bathroom in all his life since you keep yours so sparkling clean! I love it! And that little stinker Kylie, so sweet yet so sneaky! Oh, and what is it with the birthday thing? I think Madison pretends it is someones birthday at least once a day. I just love getting little paper-clips and random things wrapped up in whatever she can find! Thank goodness for little brothers to play along with their big sister's grand imaginations!

Suni said...

I love your stories!! Your kids are too cute! I think we have all had those outburst moments with our kids....my little nephews made a cashier cry once...you feel bad but what can you do? We love FHE on Sunday, thats the only way it gets done around here!

Chelsea said...

hilarious! she is so funny. I loved her little card for Bray, what a thoughtful little liar she is :) HA! you know I'm kidding, I'm sure this stage will soon pass, that is so cute that she was feeling bad enough to cry over the cat story...but can only mean she is learning from her mistakes! and yes, I see the Indian lady walking almost every morning. Jayden is hilarious, I love his prayers! that is the same thing Kosty does only we call it "talking about the day" right before bed in his rocking chair. How funny. Oh and p.s. Brayden and Kylie are SO SO cute together, they play so well & I LOVE hearing their conversations!

Marisa said...

Oh man, Jamie--I am in hysterics. I know it is so not funny to be you during those crazy jayden moments....but man, do they make for one funny story! I cannot believe it!!!!

I think it's so precious that Kylie makes up little lies (maybe precious isn't the right word...). I used to do the same thing to try and be cool (going back to your post forever ago about that). I told Cathy Durfey that I had this cousin who lived in Pleasant Grove and would tell her all these stories about her until we were in like 5th grades. I had to tell her I made it all up after years of guilt--when we were in like 8th grade. Isn't that crazy? what a sweet girl Kylie is to feel bad about telling about a pretend cat. Hmmmm...what was wrong with me :-)?

Angie Whitman said...

Okay, now I'm laughing! How eerie that our kids sound so much alike! The good news is that your #3 will be an angel (at least till he's six months...that's as far as we've gotten). My favorite was in Sacrament and Maddie says in her loudest voice, "what's wrong with her? Why are her eyes (eyebrows) black?" about a little girl sitting like 2 ft in front of us. So rude, but innocently (?)said. Makenzie never would of said that! That is so stinkin funny!

Hope all went well tonight! Your awesome!

Michelle Y. said...

Hey you little blogger, it looks like we are blogging at the same time :) Yes, we are on for tomorrow. Tanner can't wait. They always get along very well, they are just acting more like brother since they see eachother so much (Thursday, Friday Saturday and Sunday). Tanner would be so lonely if he didn't have Jayden to play with.

Heidi Ann said...

I love the birthday party, so, so cute! I'm glad I'm not the only one who's had moments you want to hide under a rock becuase one of your kids has said something! Fortunately, kids are so innocent and don't mean to be ugly.

Rachel said...

Oh man, those stories about Jayden are killing me. You have to love kids honesty!

Janessa said...

You always have the funniest stories. Your kids are such a crack up and I you tell the stories so well. I love the birthday party. What a sweet sister. A couple of my kids have gone through the "little white lies phase" too and it drives me crazy! It's the same thing where they just start telling me these stories that sounds totally credible and I'm oh-in and awe-ing over it and then find out later it's not true. That's so sweet that she felt so bad about her lie to her friend afer your lesson. You're such a good mom! Jayden's honest observations are too funny. If you did't always have your house so perfectly spotless, he probably wouldn't think other people's houses are dirty:) JK! I love that you were stuffing paper towels in his mouth!!! I love Jayden's recap of the day in his prayers. And (one last thing) I love the pictures you added along the side of your blog. You are always doing such cute things with your blog.

Janessa said...

You always have the funniest stories. Your kids are such a crack up and I you tell the stories so well. I love the birthday party. What a sweet sister. A couple of my kids have gone through the "little white lies phase" too and it drives me crazy! It's the same thing where they just start telling me these stories that sounds totally credible and I'm oh-in and awe-ing over it and then find out later it's not true. That's so sweet that she felt so bad about her lie to her friend afer your lesson. You're such a good mom! Jayden's honest observations are too funny. If you did't always have your house so perfectly spotless, he probably wouldn't think other people's houses are dirty:) JK! I love that you were stuffing paper towels in his mouth!!! I love Jayden's recap of the day in his prayers. And (one last thing) I love the pictures you added along the side of your blog. You are always doing such cute things with your blog.

Kristin said...

I was laughing so hard at this post because I am going through the same thing! Your kids are so cute!!!