Friday, May 23, 2008

When "Heck" Freezes Over



It was hot as "heck" this past week (just trying to keep it G-rated, people) when we reached up to 109 degrees. I could barely bring myself to even wear clothes. Our feet got singed on the concrete as we ran to the pool, and we stayed in there pretty much all day since that was the only way to cool down. That was on Tuesday, by Thursday it dropped atleast 50 degrees and we got hit with a freakish hailstorm! If I lived anywhere else then I think I would hate weather like this at the end of May, but for us here it was the best present ever. As soon as the kids got home they begged to go out and jump in the puddles, my initial motherly reaction was, "of course not, you're going to get sick!" But then I realized that it hardly ever rains like this here so I might as well let them get out there and enjoy it while it lasts, especially since it's supposed to be back in the 100's by next week. We dug through boxes to find winter clothes that haven't seen the light of day since February and they went crazy running, jumping and swimming in all the puddles. They had the best time and eventually a hot bath brought color back to their purple fingers. I sent Jason to the store for ingredients to make chicken noodle soup for dinner which totally hit the spot. I love venturing back into the world of fuzzy socks, bubble bath, warm blankets and sweaters. I may even be tempted to bust out the Christmas Cd's.

13 comments:

Janessa said...

You are such a fun mom! I'm glad you got a spring shower (downpour? hail storm?) and enjoyed some snyggly cold weather fun afterwards. You make such yummy chicken noodle soup. I'm sure it did hit the spot. Good luck surviving the summer lounging in the pool:)

Rachel said...

KEEP IT DOWN THERE! I don't want it! Of course, I don't want 109 degrees either. YUCK!

Sheba Price said...

That is soo funny about the Christmas comment. I just found a Christmas scent plug in the other day and I "Plug it in" and when it was so rainy yesterday I felt like it was Christmas too! With the scent and all. I can't believe this weather! I am such an Arizonan because it was way to cold for me! I couldn't live in snow for sure! I want summer! But I didn't mind the rain! You are a fun mom! Love the pics of the storm and your kids of course! They are always so darling!!! :)

Chelsea said...

It was so awesome! At least you bundled your kids up, Brayden was out there in his soccer uniform! Just for a sec...he was so intrigued by the hail, and I need to go back to science class! did you figure it out? Those are great pics and a wonderful memory for them and you!

Jodee said...

That is too funny! I guess it's all about perspective right? Come visit us anytime you get the need for rain- I am sure WA mother nature won't dissapoint! UGH!!!

Michelle Y. said...

I plan to do the exact same blog post about my kiddos. That was so fun, the hail was crazy. I let my boys play in the puddles too. When Kylie came to my house today she asked, "Why do you have piles of wet clothes on your back porch?" When I told her I let the boys play in the puddles today and yesterday she told me she got to do the same thing.

Nichols Family said...

I know, wasn't that soooo fun? It reminded me of when it hailed once when we were in WI only the hail there was dime sized. Anyway, I was wrapping a present when it was hailing the other day and I had Christmas flashbacks so I was laughing when I read your post. :)

Diana said...

we happened to be in tucson for that 50 degree temp drop. thankfully it warmed up the next day otherwise we might have just stayed in colorado for that weird weather over the holiday thank you very much! :)

MommyRohner said...

Those are some great pictures. We loved the gray weather too.

Suni said...

We were loving the rain too! It was a nice change! Such cute pictures of your kiddos!!

Marisa said...

What is up with such freakish weather??? My mom would say it's all about global warming :-). But what a fun break from sizzling hot weather!

The Morris Fam said...

I know what you mean about weird weather. It has been totally hot here in LA (in the 90's) and then totally cooled off to the 60's (winter weather). It's been a nice break. Do I sound like a snob yet? Hee Hee Hee- I love the weather here!!! By the way... I don't remember if I thanked you yet (I'm pretty sure I have- it's been a crazy month)... but I absolutely love the dress you bought for Tawna. I can't wait for her to wear it. Love you guys!!

Tara

DAVE AND CANDACE BOLLARD said...

I guess everyone has been getting that nasty weather. We did the same thing here but not to as hot of temps. Then, we went to Vegas, where it had been 109 and ended up in 50 degree weather all weekend.