Sunday, May 18, 2008

7:40 AM


Kylie wanted an alarm clock for her birthday. Okay, so maybe she didn't come up with the idea by herself. Okay, so maybe mom was getting tired of having to drag a tired cranky girl out of bed to get ready for school every morning. Okay, so maybe this mom was slightly brainwashing this girl to believe that having the responsibility to get up by yourself and get ready can actually be a fun thing. Either way, it worked and now a fuscia pink Barbie alarm clock (complete with a story telling option and picture projector--very classy) adorns her night stand. The first night I got her all pumped up about the alarm feature and we had a little practice run of what she should do when it went off. She was pretty excited about her new found responsibility and I was pretty excited to see if it would work. 7:40AM rolls around, I hear the alarm go off. I then lay in bed and hear the annoying alarm for the next 7 minutes before I finally go in there and find Kylie sound asleep. The next morning the alarm goes off and I hear her turn it off immediately. I was so excited that I got to go back to sleep for 10 more minutes until she was dressed, but when I went in there I found her still laying in bed, wide awake but too tired to get dressed. I was crushed that my ingenious plan didn't work but I decided to give it another try before calling it quits. I was in the shower the next morning when it was supposed to go off. When I got out I didn't have very high expectations, until I heard a noise downstairs. I went down to find Kylie all dressed, bed made, hair done, teeth brushed, getting herself a bowl of cereal. Not only that, but she was also getting a bowl of cereal for everyone else in the family too. It was such a proud moment for me, but I was also sad to see that my baby wasn't a baby anymore.

9 comments:

Janessa said...

Very nice plan. I might have to borrow that one. Way to stick with it. Sounds like it paid off! That it so cute that she was even getting cereal for everybody else. She is such a sweetheart! That's pretty fast work too to get all that done while you were in the shower. Go Kylie!

Michelle Y. said...

We have an annoying alarm called Tanner that wakes everyone up at 6 am!!! He has always been an early bird. The good part is that Trevor does get up by himself, get ready and gets cereal for Tanner and himself.

Chelsea said...

oh what a sweetie she is! We have debated the alarm thing too. I almost bought one then I decided I should be the one to set mine..but I do think its great she is learning to be so independent! Story telling feature?! I want one of those for ME!

Jodee said...

She is too much! What a funny little girl. Isn't it amazing what they can do on their own? Sometimes I could kick myself for not starting things like this earlier!

Angie Whitman said...

Can we trade please?? Makenzie is like a rooster with the first signs of daylight..she's up. Then she still proceeds to come and wake us up (this is around 6am) and ask what she needs to do. The routine DOES NOT CHANGE!!! So...you would think we would always ready for carpool on time. We aren't. And it's always a little crazy. She gets distracted very easy (how many box tops do I have, I think its P.E., can I read my A.R. book one more time?, and the list goes on!) My aunt says the best gift she ever gave her kids was an alarm clock. She said it taught them responsibility. Way to go Jamie!

Pacefamily said...

She doesn't even look like a baby anymore, Jamie! What a beautiful little lady she is! We miss you guys!
Becca

MommyRohner said...

That's it. Daxton is getting an alarm clock.

Kathi said...

Maybe someday my boys will need an alarm, they are pretty early risers on thier own, I wish they would sleep in but on a late morning they are up at 7:30, usually more like 6:45 - 7:15 which isn't terribly early but I am not a morning girl at all...can't wait for the ultra sound!

Sheba Price said...

Your baby is all grown up hitting alarm clocks and all? What are you going to do! No seriously it is nice that they can wake themselves up and get ready. Tayler is so good at that and for getting Kaitlyn up because she would sleep right through the alarm! Way to go Kylie!
I am so glad you felt the baby! I love the little flutters. That was my favorite part of being prego!