Friday, February 29, 2008

The Tray

It started several years ago when Kylie was sick one time. I filled a cookie sheet with snacks, drinks, stories and stuffed animals for her to keep by the couch to help her feel better while she was laying there. Ever since then, whenever somebody is sick she is always the first to bring them a tray and sometimes I think she tells me she is sick just so I will make her a tray. It is so cute to see her get so excited about something so simple, and it really does seem to work some magic. I surprised her a while ago when we graduated out of the cookie sheet tray and I bought her an actual breakfast tray. She loves it and finds every excuse to use it. So fast forward to yesterday....She came home from school and was in one of those moods. She was so whiney and was throwing fits about EVERYTHING and I totally lost it. My yelling only made things worse and I felt horrible for losing my temper, I really don't want my kids to remember me as a "yelling mom". I took her upstairs and layed with her in her bed. I've found that works the best when I'm trying to calm her down. She just cries it out while I snuggle with her and then we talk about it. So after laying there for awhile I realized how tired I was and soon dozed off. The next thing I know, she is standing by the bed with this tray filled with yogurt (she knows that's one of the few things I can actually eat), a water bottle, a butterfly to help me have good dreams and a picture of a rainbow that she drew to make me happy. She even gave me her special box that she had gotten from a birthday party that I told her that I liked and filled it with her favorite treasures. I know my horomones are a little crazy and I'm a little emotional, but I had to try my best to hold back tears. Not only was it so thoughtful of her to spend all that time preparing a tray with so much thought behind everything she put on there, but it was such a huge example to me of how forgiving I should be. When she gets in her bratty moods, it ruins my whole day and it takes me a while to not be so irritated with her. Not even 15 minutes earlier, I had screamed and yelled at her and here she was doing something so selfless and loving for me. Thank you, Kylie for teaching me through your example, I really lucked out to get such a sweet girl like you! (yes, I have a feeling that my posts over the next 9 months are going to be a little emotional, bear with me :)

14 comments:

Jodee said...

Awe, you made me cry too. That was so sweet! And I totally know what you mean by needing to be more forgiving. I feel the same way, they are so good to forgive and move on, I seem to be irritated for too long. I hope you feel better!

Brooklyn said...

JAMIE!!!!! I was on the phone with Chels this morning and she told me your exciting news!!!!!!!!!! Yeah!!!!! How fun and wonderful! I am so happy for your sweet family! There is nothing more magical then a new little spirit from heaven. Your a wonderful momma and this baby is very blessed to be a part of your family! Yeah! and Little Kylie, sooooo sweet and thoughtful. I do believe we have kids (not only to teach and nurture) but so they can teach us. I am sure Kylie is so thoughtful because she has a good example from her mamma :) Now get some rest!

Brooklyn said...

Oh! 1 more thing. Since you like yorgurt, get the almond granola from sprouts (in bulk bins) It is sooooo good mixed in with strawberry yogurt :)

Chelsea said...

Awwww, what a little sweetie! She is always so thoughtful & nurturing! Hopefully she will rub off on Brayden. He has been having way too many episodes of "one of those moods!" Driving me nuts. I'm glad to know even sweet Kylie gets in an occasional "mood." I hope you start feeling better soon, & take me up on an offer to take Jayden so you can rest. I know how awful it feels to be dog tired & nauseated. My mom did the same thing only with a little stool. She loaded it up with EVERYTHING. It was one of the first things that hit me when I got married & got sick...I was like, "uh, where is my sick stool!!??"

Shanen said...

What a sweet girl. Isn't it so amazing how much our own children are actually teaching us. How often we forget the small things and it is usually through our children that we are reminded. And what a fun "tray" tradition to have.

Alisa Larson said...

That is so awesome! What a good tradition too with the sick tray.

Marisa said...

That is way too sweet. You always have the ability to make me all teary! That is just the cutest thing ever. What a sweet girl. I also love the sick tray idea...we'll definitely have to implement that!

DAVE AND CANDACE BOLLARD said...

Ok. I may need to borrow her at some point. She is so thoughtful and probably exactly what you will be needing in the next few months.

Sheba Price said...

She is just like her Momma! What a thoughtful little gal! I swear it must be an older girl thing because Tayler is the same way! FYI, I feel like I yell to much and then I so regret it later. I just did that tonight only to feel like crap! So you are not the only one and you have a better excuse then me. You are pregnant and I am not! I hopefully will get a grip or some more sleep!
P.S. Love the picture of Kylie! Speaking from experience, she will be your biggest help when the baby comes! I love girls!:)

Janessa said...

That girl has as heart of gold! What a sweetheart and amazing example to all of us. Thanks for sharing her sweetness. I love "the tray". We have one of those breakfast trays. I'll have to get it out and use it more often. You're such a great example too. I know where Kylie gets her thoughtfulness from. (Jason's thoughtful too of course:)

Heidi said...

What a sweety. I love the talks on the bed. So much more is learned on both sides I think. And a butterfly for sweet dreams. How cute!

Kristin said...

That is the sweetest thing I've ever heard. I am always learning from my kids too. I am sorry you are so stinkin sick, please let me know if I can help do anything.

Michelle Y. said...

That is so sweet Jamie. I love that you just layed on the bed with Kylie. I need to do that with Trevor more often. I don't know if it is a school thing or what but I feel like Trevor comes home and seems stressed. I feel so bad for the poor guy, he is such a good boy. You reminded me I just need to lay and snuggle with him more often. You know you are pregnant when you just crash on Kylie's bed like that. I was the same way, it is so amazing what a little baby the size of a pea can do to your body. Good luck! You are such a good mom and you have such great kids.

Heidi Ann said...

She is so sweet! She'll be a breat mom some day because she has you to learn from! I love the tray idea, hope you don't mind if I steal it!