Sunday, February 03, 2008

Before and After


8:00 AM: Every hair is curled and held in place by maximum strength hairspray, then adorned with a perfectly tied bow, or strategically placed head band. A sweater is perfectly buttoned in place. The knee socks are in the position to accurately reflect the name "knee socks". The shirt is tucked in and attention is made to every detail before trotting out the door to school.
3:00 PM: The "maximum strength" hairspray has failed and proves to only maximize the tangles. The bow or head band is either: A) lost on the playground B) left stashed away somewhere in her desk or C) tucked in a secret compartment in her backpack, only to be discovered weeks later when I'm tired of buying more ribbons--but it is never left in the secured position in which it started. The sweater is now wadded up in the bottom of her backpack, collecting crumbs from her leftover lunch. The knee socks are at best rolled down and transformed into anklets, and at worst they are removed completely and balled up somewhere beside the ribbon in the secret compartment in her back pack. Whoever said that little kids don't have foot odor, never smelled the feet of a 5 year old after running around sockless in leather shoes.
Definately a sign of a long day of playing and having fun!

7 comments:

Michelle Y. said...

Kylie is one of the cutest and sweetest girls ever. You are such a good mom. One of the advantages of having 3 boys is that I don't have to worry about those little details. I just put gel in their hair and we go. But, I would actually love to have a daughter and pay attention to all of those annoying details.

Heidi Ann said...

I know exactly what you mean! One minute Tatum's hair is strategically back combed so it's perfectly poofed (I know you can appreciate this), parted to perfection and cemented in place only to be destroyed when she decides for the 5th time she wants to change her shirt! Take deep breaths, it's only hair, she's only 4, IT ONLY TOOK ME 15 MINUTES!

Suni said...

Okay this is my girls! I dress them, do hair, and put on accessories...by the time we get to our destination rubber bands in hair are missing their barrettes are gone no where to be found and I am ticked! I swear I own a small fortune of girls stuff lost all over AZ!

Jodee said...

he he- Madison went to school last week wearing a sweater with a spaghetti strap tank top under it. It is like 30 degrees here and when I peeked in on her with the online camera, she was not wearing that sweater. Those teachers must think I am nuts sending my kid to school with just a little cami!

Janessa said...

I'm loving all your little blog-etts. So fun. As always, I love the way you write! I totally hear ya on the before and after school thing. Abby's the same way. Boys are easier in that regard I think. Taylor usually comes home about the same as when I sent him off in the morning except that his hair's lookin' kind of rough sometimes when he gets home. Girls can be so high maintainence. It's so fun!

Pam Jorgensen said...

Honestly, I don't even try to make Rylee's hair look good at school anymore. I brush it so it's laying flat on her head and send her on her way. My experience with hair accessories is the exact as yours. If I want her hair to look good...I save it for SUNDAYS!

MommyRohner said...

I totally relate to the sweater balled up in the backpack and collecting crumbs. It's so funny that we all have the same little problems with our kids.