Sunday, February 10, 2008

Let's Go Fly A Kite....

....up to the highest heights--yeah right! How hard can it be to fly a kite? Apparently for me, it is pretty darn hard. The kids were running their little hearts out around the cul-de-sac and only managed to get their kites like 10 ft in the air. After they were sufficiently worn out, I decided to waltz in and wow them with my impressive kite flying skills. I spent the next 15 minutes running my hiney around in circles while the kids and neighbors cheered me on. I was feeling the pressure. I completely failed. Oh well, the kids decided it was still fun dragging the kites around on the ground. By the next day their spirits weren't too crushed and they decided to give it another try. This time Jayden wised up and rode his bike around instead of running. His kite still didn't get much altitude, but he had a lot of fun (should I be concerned that his helmet is completely covering his eyes??). Kylie had a little more luck and got hers a little higher this time. Apparently there is a very fine line between too much wind and not enough wind. It's definatlely not as easy as it looks, but it was still plenty of fun.
We've been enjoying a beautiful weekend. Saturday we went to the Mesa swapmeet (which really isn't all that it's cracked up to be, unless you're in the market for coyote and cactus decor. Unfortunately I'm not.) We got some great deals before on art there, so we thought we'd give it a try again. We didn't find any art, but we didn't leave empty handed either. Kylie announced that morning that today was the day that she was ready to spend her life savings from her piggy bank. $14.89. After paying her tithing and having a little talk about budgeting, she decided that she wanted to buy Jayden a present and a toy for herself, then save the rest. She loaded up all of her pennies, nickles and dimes into a little back pack and we were off. After visiting booth after booth, she couldn't find anything for herself, but decided on a high quality $4.50 knock-off Power Ranger action figure set for Jayden. It was the sweetest thing to see her get so excited about giving him a present. We took the present and her 5lbs of change to the register and the sweet old man thought that she was so thoughtful to spend her life savings on her brother, so he gave it to her for $3.50 and even threw in a doll that she had been eyeing earlier. It was so thoughtful and made her day. It was a great lesson for Kylie to realize that good things happen when you make good choices. Jayden was so excited to get the present and hasn't set them down for one minute (which probably explains why I've had to glue gun 4 out of the 5 figures back together. Of course the high quality of the product has nothing to do with it :). He's lucky to have a sister like her!

I've been coming down with a nasty cold these past couple of days and since the kids started coughing Saturday night too we decided to stay home from church. I felt bad missing church, but it turned out to be such a nice relaxing day. The weather was beautiful (I decided that in heaven it will definately be 75 degrees) and we enjoyed eating Sunday brunch out on the patio. I didn't shower until 4:00pm and the kids stayed in their pj's absolutely all day. We definately all needed a day with no responsibilities, nowhere to go and nothing that needed to be done. If only my head wasn't pounding and congested, I would say that it was a pretty perfect day.

Tonight for FHE we watched a documentary about Pres. Hinckley on KBYU. It was really cool and I was glad to see that Kylie was so fascinated by it. Jayden on the other hand was our amusing commentator. He kept referring to him as Pres. "Hinckle" (like Caillou's neighbor) and was sooo excited that Gordon and Thomas the trains are prophets (I never realized the name coincidence with Gordon B. Hinckley and Thomas S. Monson). He was also very impressed that Pres. Hinckley used to be a station master, just like Sir. Topham Hatt. What a funny kid.

Last night I had a dream. Actually a nightmare, A blogger's worst nightmare. It was like the ones where no matter how hard you try to run, you just can't move. This time I had captured the perfect picture, but no matter how hard I pushed on the button, I could not make the camera work. I woke up in a cold sweat, it was horrible.

So there are some ramblings from our past week.

10 comments:

Jodee said...

That picture of Jayden on his bike with his kite is classic. I love it! And I can just see you out there with your little hiney running all over- what a good mom! Such a fun day. I bet you are loving the 75 degrees. I hope you feel better soon! I am making some virual chicken noodle soup and sending it your way along with a great big hug!

Jodee said...

that would be virtual not virual-sorry!

foreveryoung said...

Thanks for the clarification, I was beginning to wonder if "virual chicken noodle soup" was one of your herbal-all-natural-cure-all recipes :)

Michelle Y. said...

Yeah, that sounds like the worst dream ever :) I cannot stop laughing about Jayden and his helmet, that is too funny. You are such a good mom and always seem to do fun things with the kids...you inspire me to do more than just take them to the park by our house :) I love the Thomas and Gordon comment, that is so funny. I want to give Jayden one of our Power Rangers when he comes over next time. I am not exagerating I think we have 30. I used to hate Power Rangers and I wouldn't let Trevor watch it but I would let him play with them...then he grew out of them last year and it kind of makes me sad because now Tanner is into them and Trevor won't play with Tanner. At least Tanner has Jayden :) Their favorite thing to do at my house is for me to put the Power Ranger hands on the Power Ranger motorcycle (over and over again :))

Suni said...

I LOVE the picture of Jayden riding his bike...even though he can't see, too cute!! I sure hope you feel better soon!!

Pam Jorgensen said...

I love the Thomas the Tank Engine/Prophet of the Lord connection. Kids are too cute!

These beautiful sunny days in February (and even in Dec and Jan) help us feel so great about our move here from a place where the weather was pretty great!

Chelsea said...

Speaking of nightmares...:) Ok, what the heck I am still waiting for those sweet selfless moments between Brayden & Kosty! Not happening! Kylie is so sweet & how perfect did that work out, so she could learn such an important lesson! Wow. I hear you with the kite situation, boy do I ever. It is so precise & Brayden got a big fancy one for Christmas from my Mom that he's been dying to use & after 2 failed attempts (not enough wind) it went back in the box for a later day, so frustrating for a little one! they should have wind at their demand! I remember going to a Swapmart with my friend in 6th grade & even then I could tell that Southwestern stuff was just not my bag! But I would go just to get that lesson Kylie got!

Janessa said...

I'm totally laughing about your dream. Truly a bloggers worst nightmare:) I'm glad you are enjoying the nice weather so much. You are such a good mom! Sorry the kite thing never worked out. Those things can be so darn frustrating! We found that we had the best luck with the cheap dollar store kites. Go figure. That picture of Jayden is too cute! I LOVE Kylie's selfless example - that is so precious. She is such a sweetheart!

Janessa said...

p.s. I hope you're feeling better. You sounded a lot better when I talked to you yesterday. Hopefully the worst is over.

Marisa said...

I was laughing hysterically at that picture of Jayden on his bike! I love it! You are such an amazing mom to run around (with neighbors watching nonetheless) and try to get their kites airborn. I think I got a kite airborn maybe once in my childhood. They're hard! I also loved that story about Jayden and FHE. I'm sure I've also mentioned many, many times that I am soooooo jealous of your warm weather!