Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Gobble. Gobble.

The stage was set...


the pies were baked...



the pie then upstaged the turkey and I started feeling all sorts of grown up with my homemade pie, name place holders and attempting and succeeding at my first ever stuffing and gravy (thanks, Margaret!).  Oh and I bought a table cloth. Yes, all sorts of grown up, and then some...


then we gathered and gave thanks in construction paper politically incorrect Indian headbands....


then ate until we all wished we were Joey from that episode of Friends where he showed up at Thanksgiving wearing maternity pants....


Covering the kid's table with Reynold's freezer paper was pure genious.


We were so grateful to have Jason's sister Jessica and our good friends the Andersons here to enjoy the holiday with us and everything seemed perfect, until the tragedy which will go down in Thanksgiving history as the day poor Squirmy met a most unfortunate death at the hands of a three year old and a Little People carnival toy.  It was so sad.  Maddox was devastated, the poor thing was still alive and writing in pain so we sent the dads out back to put the poor hamster out of his misery. RIP Squirmy. A replacement hamster was brought over the next day which was a thoughtful gesture but the new guy was a biter and a runner.  I thought we would have to take it back, but Maddox is some sort of hamster whisperer and after a matter of days he was totally tame.  Either that or else he mauled him into submission and Lightning finally came to accept his lot in life. Then just like that, we acted like Thanksgiving was yesterday's news and moved onto Christmas without skipping a beat.  Melinda was so nice to bring gingerbread house kits and gingerbread men and I think it was a great way to start the holidays and check off some to-do's on our Christmas list.




we ended the night with Polar Express on the projector and some midnight Black Friday madness.  So grateful for such a fun holiday, so grateful for wonderful family and friends to share it with, so grateful for my little people that I adore and to my knowledge seem to adore me too, so grateful for a husband who makes me feel like I am the center of his world and for everything else that makes this life of mine a pretty darn good one.  Happy Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

Janessa said...

All sorts of grown up for sure! You went all out. I'm so impressed! Wish I could have been there too. I'm glad you had a little bit of family and good friends to share it with at least. RIP poor little squirmy. I'm glad lightning has accepted his fate. Love you guys!

Jodee said...

OH NO! Squirmy! So very sad. Poor little Maddox, hope the new guy survives ;) I still think you are super mom for allowing those things in your house!