Tuesday, May 08, 2018

Winter hiking

We always try to take at least one family hike each winter when the weather is perfect. And usually the weather IS perfect, but today was so windy, the kind of wind where Ryder is crying that he's going to blow off the mountain. Granted, it wasn't our best parenting call to hike up a narrow steep path on top of a boulder in the middle of a haboob. Okay, maybe I was just looking for an excuse to throw in the word "haboob". The ominous clouds started rolling in and it was beautiful, but then it started raining so we had to cut the hike short and ended up eating turkey sandwiches in the car. All in all, it was a memorable day, but didn't do much in the department of convincing the kids to love hiking!


 












1 comment:

Just me said...

What strikes me as remarkable is not the wind, it's WINTER hiking in shorts and tshirts. :-) ... but as for encouraging kids to hike? I was the worst in the family, the biggest complainer, oh ho ho it was not my thing. And now I live in Switz, very very close to tall pointy mountains that I hike up as often as possible. So, I think it will all turn out in the end, strong wind or not!