Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Turkey Time in Indiana



I seriously could not have asked for a more perfect Thanksgiving (okay, I lied, it would have been more perfect if all of my brothers and sisters could have made it as well). My mom went all out and created a menu to die for. We spent the morning cooking up a storm with my mom and sister while dancing and singing to "Grandma Got Ranover by a Reindeer" (a family classic :). Snow started falling for the first time that morning and as we sat down as a family in a warm cozy house with a delicious meal and snow flakes out the window, it was one of those perfect moments where you just sit back and realize that there's no other place that you'd rather be at that moment. Thanks, Mom and Dad, for making it such a memorable Thanksgiving! Here are some other memories of our 7 days in Indiana.....
-It was my parent's 30th wedding anniversary, so all the kids pitched in and sent them to a bed and breakfast. They had a great time and we were glad that we could be there for such a special event. Happy anniversary!
-Having dance parties to "I'm a Barbie Girl" and making treats all night with the kids while mom and dad were away (Mom, if you're reading this, the kids were in bed by 10:00 :)
-driving the kids to early morning seminary at 5:45 since my parents were away--how did I ever do that every day in highschool???
-helping Todd with his Algebra homework--it took me forever to freshen up my skills, but I can now master the point-slope intercept equation!
-Waking up at 6:00 (yes, we accidentally slept in) to hit the day after Thanksgiving sales. Even though I had no room to bring anything home, it was just a blast hanging out with my mom, sisters (and Todd :).
-Falling asleep with Julene and Jessica on the bags of dog food at Wal-mart while waiting for my mom and Janess.
-Going to breakfast at Panera Bread and getting the most delicious bagels after our big shopping trip. It was one of my favorite memories of our trip. It's been so long since we've been together, and it was so fun to just talk and laugh. I wish we could make it an annual tradition!
-The boys playing basketball almost everynight and helping my dad finish a room in the basement.
-Having "cooking classes" with Grandma
-The boys got together for pizza at the church and watched the amazing BYU vs. Utah game--go BYU!!
-Going to dinner with my parents and the Caziers and the conversation that Mike the waiter overheard--ha! ha!
-Jayden wanted to check their mail and when we came in we noticed that he had someone else's mail. We go outside and find all of the surrounding neighbor's mailboxes opened--oops!
-Jayden had no concept of snow and so when I was packing for the trip I told him he needed to wear a jacket so that the snow wouldn't fall on his head. The rest of the day he walked around the house with his hat on so that "snowmen wouldn't fall and hit him on his head". He also informed Kylie that "snow smells nummy".
-Driving with Janessa and singing at the top of our lungs to Deana Carter, just like in the good ol' days. We almost felt like we were carefree back in highschool again--until we looked back and saw all six of our kids screaming in the back.
-All the girls wanted to always dress the same so that people would think they're sisters.
-Jayden was taking forever doing his duty in the airport bathroom and when I knocked on his stall and asked him if he was done, he yelled: "No way, I can't talk now!" It got a few chuckles from all the people patiently waiting in the long line.
-movie and pizza parties all night (and staying up all night working on the anniversary gift that we're giving my parents for Christmas).
-having girl parties with Kylie's aunts.

It was definately an amazing trip and we loved every minute of it!



9 comments:

Rohm Family said...

I don't think I have ever been the first to comment :) You must have just clicked "post" like two seconds ago :) I love seeing pix of your family, your bro's and sis's are all so grown up :) It sounds like you had so much fun. Isn't it fun to have a big family- My whole family will be together this weekend for Ash's wedding and I am so excited.

Jodee said...

So fun! It sounds like you guys had an amazing trip. I love that Jayden thought snowmen would fall on his head, what a crack-up! And I love your moms chili pepper apron too!

Janessa said...

That was so fun to read through your post and re-live our time together. I love the way you write, I was totally laughing! It was a perfect Thanksgiving (minus having everyone there, like you said.) Having you guys there made it extra wonderful! It was so fun to see your sweet little kids again. My kids LOVED playing with them and I loved getting to know their cute sweet personalities better. Thanks for making such fun memories with us!

Michelle Y. said...

I still can't get over that Kylie has an aunt her age, that must be so fun. Jayden is the funniest, I love looking at the world through a child's eyes.

Heidi Ann said...

You did way to many fun things! Don't you love family? I don't know how you can handle living without yours close! Did you have to buy seven days worth of warm clothes or did ya freeze? I'm glad you had so much fun!

Chelsea said...

What an awesome family you have, that sounds like such a fun trip! did you for reals fall asleep on Purina?

Suni said...

I am so happy for you that you got to spend time with your family....it has to be hard living so far away! You seriously make the most and do the most on your vacations....how fun!! (it makes me realize how boring I am!)

Marisa said...

What a fun, cute post! I'm ready to join your family after such a fun Thanksgiving.

Alisa Larson said...

Okay, that was so funny about Jaden in the bathroom. Annalise always yells in a gruntting voice, "MOM, I'm going POOP!". Nice, huh? And, what the heck is a point-slope intercept equation? How I passed math, I have not clue....