Friday, November 02, 2007

Happy Halloween!!

Another fun holiday come and gone...we delayed the great pumpkin carving extravaganza until Monday's FHE because the life span of these poor jack-o-lanterns is very short here in the AZ heat. It has only been 4 days and they're already turning brown around the edges and wilting away (hmmm, maybe I should relieve them of their front porch duties...). We were sad that we had to do the carving sans the Daddy-o (doesn't "sans" mean "without" in Spanish? I don't know, it sounded cool). Unfortunately he had to work late. He's such a hard worker and was sad that he had to miss the big event. The afternoon started out as "one of THOSE days" where the kids were suffering from a serious lack of sleep over the weekend and it was one thing after another. I opted to do a "family home afternoon" instead of evening because I needed an outlet for the kids besides killing eachother. This picture sets the mood at the beginning perfectly, but it was nothing that a good old fashioned pumpkin carving couldn't take care of. By the end we were all laughing, especially when the kids were playing on the swing set and got soaked by the sprinklers. It turned out to be a fun and memorable afternoon.

Halloween was a fun/busy day. I was up the whole night before getting things ready for the Halloween party at the preschool that I teach at. Jayden comes with me one day a week, so he also had fun partying with his friends. I would have liked to have helped out at Kylie's class party, but that was impossible considering there was no party :( In fact, they purposely distracted from the holiday by declaring Oct. 31 "drug awareness day" and had all sorts of activities related to that. It was salt in an open wound. The only time they acknowledged the holiday was by sending home a letter suggesting to donate your Halloween candy to the school's carnival. No thank you. I'd rather give it to Jayden's school where atleast they're giving it to the food bank. I really do love Kylie's school, I was just a little disappointed with the anti-Halloween spirit. But have no fear, my friend Mandy and I took matters into our own hands. After the preschool party I spent the afternoon getting ready for our own little Halloween bash with the neighborhood kids from our ward. I think we ended up with like 25 kids in our back yard. Mandy had a cute Jello craft, Chelsea had a fabulous pin the tail on the cat game, and some other moms did some fun games and brought yummy food as well (I was sad that I forgot to do the cake walk and was stuck with 36 mini-cupcakes, just what I did NOT need). I did some far-from-professional face painting and we even ended with a hayless hay ride. My kids had alot of fun and hopefully the other kids did too.

After the party we rushed to eat the pumpkin shaped pizza I had made for dinner and then Jason and the kids literally ran out the door to go trick or treating as I'm trying to adjust costumes (in the midst of the mad rush we even forgot the ever important eye liner mustache, goatee and whiskers). Once again they made quite the haul and had a fun time doing it. After that our neighbors had a little Halloween party and we had a great time hanging out with them. We really lucked out with such great neighbors here. We live on a cul-de-sac thing and it's fun to have all the kids come out and ride bikes in the evenings while the adults hang out, we've never lived in a neighborhood like this where the neighbors are so close, it's great. Anyways....we partied there until the kids were completely wiped out. What a fun Halloween, although I'm glad I have a whole other year to recuperate!

13 comments:

Shanen said...

Those are some great pictures. It sounds like you had a fun, busy day over there.

Janessa said...

I love the Halloween party! Who needs a lame school party. You guys really went all out! What a great mom!!! Your jack-o-lanterns turned out so great. You were brave to undertake the carving task with two grumpy kids and no hubby to help out. And of course it all ends in smiles. There's that awesome mom shining through again. I love your wagon! I'll bet that was so handy to for trick-or-treating. What a fun time! I just noticed that I'm not seeing any cat ears on you? What happend to the costume?! I'm so jealous of your fun and close neighborhood. Don't get me wrong, I love each and every grandma in our neighborhood. It'll just be nice to live someplace where the average age of our neighbors is under 70. The kids would love to have next door friends. Anyway, glad you had such a great Halloween!

Michelle Y. said...

That was so much fun. When we went to Craig's cousin's that night they saw Trevor's face painted and said that I was a good artist...Of course I told them it was my artistic friend that did it. Who would have thought that the hay ride (aka: riding in the back of a trailor) would have been the highlight, it was all my boys talked about. Thanks, it was so much fun! Your house again next year right? Just kidding, you need a break.

Chelsea said...

I dont get it, both schools are in the same district! Riggs had a party, whats the deal! Yay! you found the pirate hair! where was it? it was so nice if you & jason to go the extra mile & do the party!

Kristin said...

What a fun day! I am glad that you had such a fun time! I think the Chandler policy is weird too...I'm glad you took matters into your own hands...

kemptons said...

Typical Jamie to be supermom and always making sure that everyone has a blast on any Holiday. But seriously it looks like you had a fun Halloween. I was bummed out because Katons class was the only 1st grade class that didn't get to wear their costumes to school because his teacher wanted to respect those who didn't celebrate Halloween. So I kinda know the feeling and it is a bummer... I love Jayden's costume. Especially the pirate hair!

Brooklyn said...

How fun Jamie!!!!!! Love all the pics. The kids look the cutest! My boys would not wear the Jack Sparrow hair! I was bummed, soooo cute!

Diana said...

Your holiday sounds like it was so so much fun! I wish I were your neighbor, too!

Suni said...

Looks like you guys had a LOT of fun! I thought my day was busy but not after reading about yours! Your kids look so cute in their costumes!!

Sheba Price said...

Okay Jamie you are the party Mom! I love how you got everyone on your block together! We are still waiting to fill in the spec homes so we can have some good ole neighborhood fun like that! I will have to call you and get some tips for next year! Your kids are so dang cute in their costumes! I love Captain Jack! He is so adorable! Kaitlyn was Elizabeth Swan as the pirate! That would have been a cute picture! How fun!

Jodee said...

wow, you packed a lot into Halloween! What a fun day! You are making me feel really guilty that I was in Costa Rica while my kids were trick or treating! And yeah, where did mommy kitty go?

Heidi Ann said...

How cool am I that I get to blog it with you! I so love your page, you'll have to show me how to get a picture in your heading, I'm still a major rookie! You're too cute!

Fabulous Fur Babies! said...

Looks like you had a great Halloween! Cute pictures!