Sunday, October 28, 2007

In Lieu of Blow-ups
Is it an Arizona thing, or just a new trendy thing to deck your house all out with Halloween decorations? We're talking on a competitive scale with Christmas decorations here. Orange lights outlining every window and roof line, spider-webs, tombstones, ghosts, skeletons and every other ghoulish creature made into plastic lawn ornaments. But the favorite by far are those huge blow-up pumpkins, ghosts and monsters. When I was younger I recall our Halloween decorations consisting of the pumpkin pin art (those pin arts were the best) and other Halloween school projects adorning every window for all passerbyers to admire. Don't get me wrong, I'm not an anti-Halloween decorations kinda girl. I think they're fun to look at and a great way to get into the holiday spirit, all I'm saying is that I'm not willing to take out a loan to support my habit. I'm not the only one who has observed how naked our house looks compared to the other neighbors, yesterday Kylie pulled me outside and showed me this:and proudly announced: "Since we don't have blow-ups I made these instead!" My poor deprived children....maybe I should hit up the after Halloween clearance sales and invest in a 10 ft ghost....nah, I think I prefer the homemade type.

6 comments:

Janessa said...

Pin art was the best! That's all you need to decorate for Halloween (although the lights and blow ups are fun to see). For some reason the picture isn't opening up. I'll have to check again later. I'll bet it's cute. Kylie's so creative! What a sweet girl.

Rohm Family said...

wow, you guys have been busy- so many Halloween festivities- and it isn't even Halloween yet! I like your "playboy kitty" costume- hahaha- so funny. Have a fun night on wed :)

Shanen said...

That made me laugh, too cute. We don't Halloween decotate over here with blow-ups either. But we have plenty of homemade pictures. That is cute of Kylie.

Kandice said...

It must be a Vegas thing too, I don't ever remember people decorating their houses for Halloween, but everyone does it here. My mom sent me a Happy Halloween mat, so that it is for me.

Brooklyn said...

Dang I have missed a few entries! I Love your kitty costume! I'm glad you had fun pre halloween activities, my boys were that same pirate as Jayden!!!!!

Jodee said...

Don't do it! Who needs a big ol blow up thingy anyway? I say stick to the real thing, pumpkins, hay, leaves, corn stalks. I know the kids don't dig it as much but at least your house won't get mistaken for the local pumpkin patch!