Tuesday, October 09, 2007

What is wrong with these pictures?


I'll tell you what's wrong with these pictures---it's OCTOBER!! (by the way, don't you love Jayden's goggles? He can not get within a 50 foot vicinity of water without them) Fall is always the hardest season for me here, pretty much because it is non-existant. I loved fall in Utah, where you drive through the mountains to see the leaves changing, snuggle up in sweaters and blankets, eat warm soup on chilly days and just get excited for the holiday season. It's hard to start thinking about Thanksgiving, Christmas or let alone Halloween when it is still freaking 100 degrees! I would gladly give up the cold snowy winters, but just give me my Fall!! Atleast in the summer I expect the triple digits so I can't complain, but come October it's a whole other story....

Enough of that tangent. It's the so called "Fall break" (more like the-summer-that-never-ends-break) for the kids right now. They have Oct. 1-17th off and it has been so fun to hang out and do things that we haven't had a chance to do since school has started. I was a little nervous that the kids would be bored (and a little nervous that I would go crazy, especially since the first day of break Jayden managed to have a stabbing war with a pen on the table, which the table lost by a long shot, and put a nice big eight inch scratch in the front of our fridge. uggg.), but we have managed to fill the time with trips to the library, picnics in the park, Barbies and trains, going to the movies, lunch with Jason, building forts, going to the infamous "Dewper" show, play dates with friends we haven't seen a while and other things like that. It's been a lot of fun and it made me realize how much I miss having my kids around! Kylie has been begging me to let her have sleepovers with Jayden and so I told her that she could during the break. I didn't plan for EVERY night, but they both beg and plead and get so excited when I let them. It's really cute, but the only problem is that they wake each other up ridiculously early (we're talking anywhere between 5-6:30!). One morning they even came in at 2:30 ready and rarin' to go, that was not happening. Atleast they are really cute and happy when they wake up (come 4:00 pm it's usually a different story). They've been playing so cute together and haven't even watched as much TV as I thought they would want to, it's been nice. I can gage how much tv they've been watching by how clean the house is. It's definately been very cluttered lately, but I guess that's a good sign. We've still got another week of break. We all may be ready for school to start by then, but for now we are just enjoying hanging out and having fun!


The kids really wanted to decorate sugar cookies. The only cookie cutters I own are Christmas ones, nothing like decorating snow men in 100 degree weather to set the mood.


The kids spent hours one day building and playing in their "houses". They topped off the whole "worker" ensemble with work belts and hats.



My friend and I went to this incredibly awesome Fall festival, or so we thought. Apparently the whole state of Arizona thought that this free festival put on by a local church would be totally awesome too. They did have cool stuff like monster trucks, pro-skateboarders, BMX bikers, rides, food etc. The only problem was that there were so many dang people there that in a matter of 2 hrs. we managed to get one ride down a bouncy slide and a chance to stick their hands through the fence at the petting zoo because we weren't about to wait another hour to get up close and personal with the animals. Good times.

Kylie decided to open up a tatoo parlor and ink up herself along with Jayden and her friend. I got a kick out of her twist on the classic "mom" tatoo. I asked her if she did it so that I wouldn't get mad at her and she innocently replied, "no, I did it because I love you so much and want to always remember you". Nice try.

So the other day Kylie brought me the newspaper and said, "look how cool, mom, it's a picture of the inside of your ear". I thought it was kind of fascinating until I read the headlines: "Alternative Methods to Invasive Colonoscopy". It was definately a picture of the inside of something....just not an ear. Happy Tuesday!

15 comments:

Jodee said...

Ah, the ever changing beautiful blog! I love the new look, again! Sounds like your having fun in the sun. Making the most of the 100 degrees! Your a trooper. Love the tat's Kylie, maybe she should start Gilbert Ink!

Shanen said...

I love the new look and family picture. What a fun break you are having. I too love the breaks. My girls have the greatest time playing together and creating new things. My girls can be quite lazy, so I have to admit that we have even had a few days that we barely even got out of our PJ's Enjoy the last week off.

Chelsea said...

HA!! LOVE the colonoscopy comment! it doesn't get any better than that! and she is smart for knowing what the inside of the ear even looks like. Don't get me started on the Carnival, at least we can laugh-- meanwhile I almost had an athsma attack that night due to the allergy attack I had on the 2 ft long grass! Love the new header! I know I am enjoying this fall break so much, I love this "year round modified" whatever you call it, it rocks!

foreveryoung said...

Thanks to my talented friend Miss Rachel for the fabulous header :) Oh, and last night as I was reading over this I found a typo- I wrote "it made me really miss having my kids gone", I meant to say that "it made me really miss my kids when they're gone". What kind of terrible mom am I?

Kristin said...

Yeah, add an "R" in front of ear and that'll be close... I am still laughing about that! I miss the fall too. I was so glad to go to Utah last week and see the beautiful fall colors and feel the chilly breeze. Nothing like fall... This weather is crazy!!! I TOTALLY went to the festival thingy too. Crazy amount of people, I wasn't about to stand in those lines either! I lvoe your new BLOG...

DAVE AND CANDACE BOLLARD said...

Sounds like you are really enjoying your break. I can't believe it's so hot there. I do complain(so much) about winter here but it's been nice having weather in the 60's and 70's.

kemptons said...

I love reading your posts. That is one long October break. But I guess the kids need it since they start school in JULY! You're a great mom to do such fun activities with them. I cringe when my kids have just one day off. OK maybe I don't really cringe, I love my kids, I really do.

Janessa said...

LOVE the new look jame! You had too many copy cats with your old one? You are just so inspiring. The header looks great, Rachel! When I talked to you on the phone you made it sound like you weren't doing anything for fall break. It sounds like you're pretty darn busy though. You're such a great mom. I can't believe how warm it is over there. Crazy! Good thing you're going where it's chilly for Thanksgiving. It may be too chilly for your liking by then. You can get your winter fix I guess then run back to your Arizona "winter". Ha, ha!

Brooklyn said...

Nice header girl!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love it!!!!!!!!!! When did you go to power ranch? You should have called me! Can't wait for friday! Your a good mommy! You always are doing something fun! ps, my kids want to do sugar cookies everyday too!

foreveryoung said...

oh no, I could care less about "copy cats", considering I'm one myself :) I just didn't like having the main section so skinny, I like it stretched out so that the pics fit better. And I came across this header Rachel made a while ago that I couldn't figure how to use so I was very excited to finally use it. Oh, and Brooke, I met up with a friend of mine from BYU at the park, but next time we're there I'll definately give you a call!

Melissa Stadler said...

Oh you have had some FUN during Fall Break my friend! Ok, I am an AZ native but what is the deal with the weather? I want cool, crisp temps as well and I think we deserve it!! Isn't it usually cooler this time of year? Come on!

However, I do have my little nephews arriving from Utah in a few hours and they are so excited about the reality of swimming!

You are one fun Mom and I hope those snowman cookies were so worth it!

Suni said...

I so wish we had cool weather, color changing leaves, and just the feel of fall right now!! Looks like you guys have been having LOTS of FUN!! That is so cute that your kids play so good together....I wish! It was fun to see you at Chick-Fil-A today!

Marisa said...

Cute post! I love the look of your new blog!!! I hate it when you think you've found a really fun event that no one else in the world will be at--it's such a bummer. I'm always wondering how everyone else knew about it... your family's so cute!

Rohm Family said...

how do you get your margins so wide? Oh I am so jealous of your warm days, It is so cold here already. That is a crazy long fall break, is school year round there?

Tiffany said...

Still swimming...amazing! Sam is the same way about googles!