Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Petting zoo, seriously?


This is our 3rd Halloween here, but I'm still in search of the perfect pumpkin patch to become our annual family tradition. Two years ago we went to a really fun one, but considering it costs about $60 for our family to go, it definately got vetoed this year. Last year our pumpkin patch came in the form of the big boxes sitting outside of Wal-mart. This year I was excited when my friend told me about a pumpkin patch that they enjoy going to. We researched it on-line and it sounded like a lot of fun. They boasted a petting zoo, hay maze, hay ride, pumpkin decorating, etc. The kids were especially excited about the petting zoo, so we all got a good laugh when we showed up to discover that their version of a "petting zoo" consisted of a solitary pig dining on rotten pumpkins, enclosed by two sets of fences to prevent any form of "petting"--not that you could convince anyone to get within 20 feet of that nasty beast on their own free will...


Despite the disappointing animal encounters, we all had a lot of fun. The kids loved exploring the pumpkin patch, riding the hay ride, going through the pint-sized hay maze (once again, it wasn't quite what I expected from the web-site, but it was the perfect size for the kids-they loved it), decorating their own little pumpkin and spending time together as a family doing something other than yard work on a Saturday.





13 comments:

Michelle Y. said...

I love your pictures of your cute kids. I hope it wasn't too disappointing. We really like it there for the price and what they have to offer. I can't wait to go there again, we still haven't made it so far.

Marisa said...

I loved your description of the pumpkin patch. I think they're definitely geared towards kids and not as exciting for us big people. The one we go to also sports a "petting zoo" with like four animals.

Chelsea said...

Ok that is hilarious, and I love the way you wrote, "one solitary pig dining on rotten pumpkins!" you are a crack up! so there is no petting allowed at the "petting" zoo?

Janessa said...

What a great story! You didn't want to pet the pig? I was totally laughing at the "hay maze" pictures. We just went to a pumpkin patch yesterday that was pretty fun. I'm going to try and post pictures tonight. You've got to come out to Iowa for a good corn maze. Too bad conrn maze season will be over when you're here. We'll still have lots of fun!

Janessa said...

Sorry, I've been adding a lot of after thought comments lately. I just realized that these pictures must be on your new camera. Yeah! It looks like you didn't miss out on any of the Halloween fun without it.

Jodee said...

Oh Jamie, you've gotta keep searching, that gave me flash-backs to fairyland! I love how the pumpkin decorating consisted of... a sharpie?!?!

Janessa said...

Abby and Kambry were looking at your pumpkin patch pictures and also saw the slide show that you did for Jason' birthday. Kambry asked if the younger pictures of Jason were Kylie or Jayden. I told her they were Jason. Abby said, "Wow, was Jason a chineese little boy?!" I said yes, then she asked if Kylie is a chineese little girl. I explained to her that she is part chineese and part white. Abby then said, "That is so cool! Man, I wish our daddy was chineese."

Kristin said...

That is a huge pumpkin! It looks like you had a great time despite the um "Petting zoo"!

Kandice said...

Wade and I just went to the pumpkin patch yesterday, so that will be my next post. Ours however had an awesome petting zoo, they gave all the kids tin buckets with carrots to feed the animals. Sorry to make you jealous, but it sounds like you had fun anyways. And got some good pics with the pumpkins.

Suni said...

Yea you got a camera.....CUTE pics!! Looks like some family fun minus the petting zoo part-yuk!

Kathi said...

That pig cracked me up....Well there is always the pumpkin patch up here next year :)

Brooklyn said...

Ha! That pig! Any family time is a good time! The kids like they had a blast! ps, happy bday to Jason! Good to see ya today! I lvoe hangin' out!!!!

The Morris Fam said...

That's alright- our pumpkin patch charged us $15 to get in and then it was additional charges for every activity in it that of course the kids have to go on. I can't believe how big your kids are getting!