Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Waste Not, Want Not



I think that this is such a great bit of advice that my wonderful parents have taught me. However, as I started a small electrical fire with my blow dryer I realized that I may have just taken this advice to the extreme. Let me just start by confessing that I have somewhat of a love affair with black electrical tape (it seems a little more classy than duct tape :). As long as something still works, I hate letting it go to waste, even if it means holding it together with tape. So my poor blow dryer....it started when the cord wore through near the base and the wires got exposed. It was nothing a little electrical tape couldn't handle, although I did have to manipulate the cord and hold it in the right position so that it wouldn't short out. After that problem was temporarily worked out, I noticed a spot on the handle that would heat up every time I used it. Naturally I just avoided touching that area. Then the day inevitably came when that infamous hot spot melted right through the handle and burst into a small flame. I dropped it immediately and burned my tube of Colgate toothpaste. It was a dramatic moment. It also allowed me the opportunity to ponder the many things I've used 'til they couldn't be used no more:


-The Dirt Devil. We got a Dirt Devil vacuum for our wedding. After 5 years, the handle broke off, but alas that motor was still a runnin'. So I rigged up a new handle by duct taping the hose to the base. It worked great until I was 9 months pregnant with Jayden and bending over to use the so-called handle just wasn't cutting it anymore!
-The GE washer. When we bought our first house Jason's brother and wife sold us their washer and dryer. They have been trusty appliances up until the last few years. I'm not quite sure what happened, but I think that the wash basin kind of got disconnected or something. Every time it is on the spin cycle the whole basin just bangs back and forth and the washing machine sort of takes on a life of its own as it moves around the floor. It has been known to scare unsuspecting children on more than one occasion. In our old house the laundry room was upstairs and I was just waiting for the washing machine to crash through the ceiling during the dreaded spin cycle. But once again, it still faithfully washes the clothes so it has secured it's location next to it's matching dryer.
-Beauty supplies. My sister can vouch for me on this one. One year for my birthday she bought me a new hand mirror and hair brush after she saw the ones I was using. My mirrors always seem to get dropped and broken and I still manage to use them down to the last shard. My brushes and combs are missing teeth, but darn it, they still work. My compact powder usually doesn't get retired until every last broken piece is gone.
-The Laundry Basket. Yes we got it 8 years ago when we got married, yes it is completely falling apart, but yes it still holds clothes (sort of).
-The Swiffer Wet Jet. This little beauty is a dandy of an invention, too bad it doesn't last long with my vigorous mopping skills. The top half of the handle broke off, resulting in the severing of the wires so that it no longer sprays. Do you think that stopped me? Oh no, give me more credit than that. I now just put the cleaner in a spray bottle. Nothing stands in the way of my cleaning day. The bottom part broke off too, so I"m still dealing with that.

I have to put a few disclaimers out: first of all, I'm not a pack rat--far from it (although I believe I am flirting with the term "white trash"). If I don't use it, I get rid of it. But if I do use it, then I use it to it's last shred. Second of all, it's not that I can't afford another $15 blow dryer, I just hate throwing it away when it's still got some juice left in it. And last of all, Jason doesn't condone my behavior. Infact, our latest disagreement was centered around the clothes iron. So I was ironing Jason's clothes when there was a little metal thingy poking out that snagged his shirt. I thought that I could simply just file down the culprit, but Jason thought I was being ridiculous and should just go buy another $10 iron instead of risking ruining another shirt. He won the battle, so it was off to Wal-mart to buy a new iron, blow dryer and yes, I even splurged and bought a much needed laundry basket.

15 comments:

Jodee said...

Congratulations Jame! I am very proud of you for "splurging"! You are so good to use everyting till it breaks...and breaks again... and then...finally... dies! I always learn something from you each day! I always tell you how you need to start your own "how to" book. Now you have the title, "Have some class- use black electrical tape"

Crystal said...

I'm happy Jason won that one before you burned your house down.

Chelsea said...

I am so behind! Love your two fity shirt, I cant believe Gigi drew those!! and I am so proud of you for splurging on some new and more SAFE household necessities!!! If it makes you feel any better, my Swiffer broke too, and I just cant seem to toss it, even though I cant use it on my floors, go figure. Wanna jimmi rig it together? :)

Janessa said...

You crack me up, yet you are an inspiration at the same time. My little hand mirror is so ready to be tossed. I just about threw it away the other day but decided, "Oh no, I've got to impress Jamie with this one." I'm sure you'll still have me beat. I'm glad you finally splurged on your iron, blow dryer and laundry basket and that your house is still standing. You're awesome!

DAVE AND CANDACE BOLLARD said...

You are so funny! I can't believe you had to have a small fire occur before you would replace your blow dryer.

Suni said...

What a good saying to live by! You were cracking me up though sometimes I can be like that but I am more on the pack rat side, I just hate to let things go! Oh I like your $2.50 shirt good find!

Diana said...

I'm lovin your latest posts.

Marisa said...

I love it! I'm so glad that I'm not the only one out there with this secret. I can completely commiserate with you. Now you've got me thinking....maybe I should go do a little walk through and start by replacing the less expensive ones and through a little therapy maybe I can work up to the big ones. I was using our vaccuum for months and was 99% positive it wasn't picking up anything and then when it started smoking we replaced it--but not after talking myself into it. I was pretty disgusted by what the new vacuum picked up. I loved this post!

Shanen said...

That is too funny, just remember we have plenty of blue and grey tape over here if you ever run out.

Michelle Y. said...

I am the same way, just not as bad :) It must come from being raised with such a large family...The only way I can justify getting rid of something is if I give it to the D.I. because then I know if I am not using it at least someone else is.

Brooklyn said...

Oh Jamie! You are too hilarious! I am cracking up! (at 1:40 am )! Good advice Jamie, I could learn from you :)

Heidi Ann said...

I have to say I agree with Jason. Usually us girls always look for a good excuse to spend money. If my husband read this post he'd be ready to trade wives with Jason! I have to give you snaps for your frugality!

Cammi said...

Too funny! It's like the old pioneer saying: Fix it up. Wear it out. Make it do - or do without!

I should probably be a little more like that, but I'm all about tossing things right now!

MommyRohner said...

I can't believe you didn't even mention the blender. Did you get a new one yet? Did you get one that will last? Just curious.
As my mom has recently taught me: It's better to spend more on something because they are the "tools" of your trade. They'll last longer and do the job better.

Of course, this is coming from a woman who wants for nothing. What do I do with that?

Glazier5 said...

Love it! I had to laugh because I recently had a blow dryer start to bubble and then eventually came the fire. But, instead of finally putting it to rest, I called the company (it was less than a year old) and sent it back to them and they replaced it with a new one! I'm with you - I love to get the most use out of things as I can!