Sunday, November 11, 2007

All About the Kids


Here's just a little list of things about the kids that I wanted to write down before I forgot....

Kylie:

This past month Kylie has reached some milestones that she is pretty darn proud of. After much practice and more than one meltdown, she can now officially pump herself on the swing, tie her own shoe and draw a star (you know the criss cross kind...I used to make dot to dots for her so that she could do it and she finally did it on her own. She now draws stars on anything and everything--several of which have landed her in time out.) She is getting so big and I love watching her sheer excitement when all her practicing pays off and she finally accomplishes her goals.

Each night before Kylie goes to bed she has her little ritual. Everything has to be perfect and in the correct order from the time she goes potty, brushes her teeth, reads one story each, drinks one glass of milk and says her prayers up to the point where I tuck her in and she has to repeat this exact phrase to me: "good night mom, I love you. Will you please stay up here and even if you have to go downstairs will you still come back up here and even if you have to do something will you just bring it up here?" It is so funny, she never fails to say that before I leave her room and she never skips a word or misses a beat.

We finally went shopping for winter clothes for the kids. They could probably still go a couple more weeks in tank tops but since we're going to Indiana next week we thought they might just need a little more than a t-shirt. While we were out I saw the cutest little vest for Kylie, you know the puffy outdoor ones that come in all sorts of cute colors? I thought it looked adorable on her but she kept saying she didn't want to get it. In what I believe was an effort to avoid hurting my feelings, she confessed her true feelings to Jason when I was out of ear shot and told him, "I look like I'm wearing a floatie!"

Speaking of floaties, the kids were crazy and wanted to go swimming last weekend. Even though it's hot outside I'm sure the water has got to be in the 60's. Jayden was the first to jump in and even though I think she was hesitant, Kylie wasn't about to let her little brother show her up. In true Daddy fashion, Jason wasn't about to be out done by his own kids, so he jumped in too. I think I was the only smart one that didn't succomb to the peer pressure.

Jayden:

Jayden's speech is really improving, but I always get a kick out of some of his pronunciations. He kept saying that he wanted to go to Donald Duck's house and I couldn't for the life of me figure out what he was talking about until he described the slide and chicken nuggets and it clicked--McDonald's! That's the only other "Donald" he knows, so why wouldn't it be his house? I was reading "Bambi" to Jayden for the first time and it made me laugh when he kept pointing to the picture of Bambi and calling him "Band-aid".

Out of the blue Jayden will say "mom, mom, mom" until I say "what". Once he gets my attention he gives me one of his sweet looks and says "hi", then goes back to his playing, it's really cute.

(this picture is from the carnival at Kylie's school. Jayden was obsessed with this chicken and would not put it down)

Jayden has always been really good about saying thank you, although sometimes the things he is thankful for make me laugh. A little while ago Jason was wrestling with the kids and gave Jayden a wedgie and he said "oh, thanks dad!" He must have thought his little undies were sagging and Jason, being the good father that he is, was just helping him out. Also, whenever he has an ice-cream cone it inevitably drips all over. I remember my dad using this as an excuse to eat half of our ice-cream cone when he was "just licking off the drips". I would get so mad, but whenever I use this trick on Jayden he says, "thank you, mommy" as I hand back his ice cream that has now shrunk to atleast half of the original size. And last but not least, you've gotta love a kid that says thank you everytime you wipe his bum after going potty!

Jayden has always been a little on the wild side during family scriptures and prayers and I still don't think that he knows the meaning of "reverent". Although I haven't lost faith in him completely when the other night Jason was gone and the kids were getting to bed late so I was rushing to get them to sleep and forgot about scriptures and prayers. Jayden kept trying to tell me something but I didn't know what he was talking about so out of frustration he grabs my hand and drags me over to the scriptures and points to them saying "forgot!" then he folds his arms, closes his eyes, bows his head and says "talk, talk, talk" then looks up and says "remember?" I guess maybe I'm not a complete failure after all, what a sweet boy.

15 comments:

Michelle Y. said...

That is the sweetest thing ever about Jayden saying "talk, talk, talk". I just love him. He is always really good when he comes to my house too and both of your children have really good manners.

Ok, I am really embarrassed to say that Trevor still doesn't know how to tie his shoes and he is in first grade. It is totally my fault because I purposely buy him shoes that he doesn't have to tie so we can be fast. The only shoes he has with laces are his church shoes. We have tried to teach him a bunch of times but he never has the chance to practice. Anyways, after I read your blog that Kylie can tie her shoes I sat Trevor down and he knows how to tie them today but hopefully he won't forget since he only ties his shoes once a week :)

Jodee said...

So sweet Jame! It made me miss you guys so much more! What a big girl Kylie is getting to be. I am so glad to know that Madison is not the only one who has those "things" that she has to say each time!

And that little Jayden is adorable, he is such a sweet, happy little guy! I love his GiGi language and how you are so good at translating. It is so good that his speach is improving but I bet you going to miss those little words that only you know.

They are adorable kids and you can tell they have great parents.

Kelly said...

I love your kid stories. How do you remember them all? Do you write them down during the day? They are so cute!

kemptons said...

They are growing up so fast. They both are so darn cute when are you going to add another little young...

Janessa said...

As if I needed any more reason to be excited to see you guys next week. I just have the cutest little niece and nephew!!! I can not wait to see them!!! I'm impressed with Kylie's recent accomplishmens. Go girl! I love her bed time routine. That's quite the little speech she gives - word for word even. I can't wait to see what cute winter clothes you got for them - minus the floatie vest:) I do have to say, it looks the kids are handling the cold pool better then Jason. Even Ricky was chuckling about the "I'm cold" look on Jason't face. What a great dad though! Jayden's Donald Duck's house thing is so funny. My kids call it Old McDonald's. The chicken obsession is great. I love all his thank you's especially for the wedgie. I'm so impressed that he remembered to do scriptures and prayers and I love the way he explained it to you. Thanks for sharing the fun stories. I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THEM!!!

Brooklyn said...

Jamie! This is such a sweet post. I need to be better about writing about the little moments. How sweet of Jayden to remember scriptures. Thats so cute about Kylie wanting you up stairs. Jerron is the same way, he always tells me to stay awake and clean and don't go to sleep. (I think it makes them feel safe when we are awake) Love all the cute pictures. Ps Jerron still calls Mcdonalds "old mcdonalds" Thats hilarious about donal duck :)

Chelsea said...

Love it. Wowee, I cant believe Kylie is doing all those things!! Poor Brayden NEVER ever even wears shoes with laces, so how is he ever going to learn!! I LOVE the prayer story about Jayden, that is the sweetest story ever!

P.S.
Did you hear Kosty say "Gi Gi" in sacrament today, so funny.

Tiffany said...

As always, great pictures! Your kids are so cute!

Chris and Sally said...

I love Jayden saying Donald Duck for Mcdonald's. Kate calls it Old Mcdonald's and I cannot get her to stop. I can't wait until Kate can pump herself on the swing. We are trying but I feel like it's never going to happen.

Oh ya, how is Jason's job going? Chris said something about it being their busy season right now. Is he really busy?

Nichols Family said...

OH, those stories are soooo cute Jaime. I love how they all jumped in to the pool again. Ha ha.

Rachel said...

We are still mastering pumping on the swing with the girls. Yahoo for Kylie. I can't believe Jayden said thank you in return for a wedgie. Now that is funny.

The Morris Fam said...

Those are the funniest stories. So in church I often think of Jayden as BOTH my boys always point to the pictures of Christ and say "Jee Jee." Is that what Jayden used to call himself? If it is that makes it even more hilarious!

Shanen said...

That's a sweet post Jamie. Doesn't it seem like now that Kylie in in Kindergarten, everything is just happening so fast? I felt that way. I don't know your kids very well at all, but Jayden just seems like the sweetest boy. What fun things to remember.

Kristin said...

What sweet kids you have. These are presious memories, I'm glad you wrote them down!

Selena said...

How fun...it's crazy the new stuff they seem to come up with every day. Now, as a dentists wife, I just need to put this in there: for Kylie's bedtime routine...I sure hope she has her one glass of mile and THEN brushes her teeth ;)