Sunday, March 23, 2008

Pretty Dog-on Cute

I have so not been in a blogging mood lately. I'm either too busy or too lazy, so now I've got all sorts of catch up to do, so bear with me. I've been feeling a lot better lately, it seems like the good days are out weighing the bad and my diet is starting to consist of more than just Honey Nut Cheerios. I still can't do salsa and I still can't stand the smells, but we're definately making progress. Although the other day the kids followed me into the bathroom as I started throwing up. Being the sweet, sensitive kids that they are they both stood there laughing at me. What the heck is so funny about my puking my insides out??? Then while I'm in mid hurl, Kylie proceeds to say "um, Mom, I know your throwing up is important and all, but there's a spider right here so could you please hurry up". What a little angel. Without further ado, on to the blogging....

Just like every other kid, my kids are always asking for a dog. Growing up I was a self-proclaimed dog lover (When I was younger I even attempted to start up a doggie club with my friends that included services such as dog walking, bathing and dog sitting. We thought our fees were competitive and our service outstanding, but unfortunately our clientel never reached outside our own families). My all time favorite Christmas was when my parents surprised me with the cutest little Cockerspaniel/Poodle puppy that I named Carson. I always thought that I would be a loyal owner of man's best friend, but once I had kids that all changed. I didn't understand why I would want to voluntarily add another mouth to feed and more poop to clean up after. Not to mention the cost involved and the need to find yet another baby-sitter if we went out of town. My kids were rewarding enough and time consuming enough to get me over any doggie desires. So everything was good until my kids have started asking for a dog. Every mother wants to make their kids happy and I am beginning to feel like I am depriving them of their childhood if I say no to a dog. We ended up with the perfect compromise when our next door neighbor got the absolute cutest little chiuahua puppy. Not only can my kids play with it whenever they want, but we are also the official dog sitters. It's kind of like a "rent-a-pup" deal where they get their doggie fix without the commitment. It was perfect. We had her for 4 days last week and the kids had a blast. They played with her from the moment they woke up until they went to bed and they loved taking her to the park and playing dress up and baby dolls with her. It was cute to see them with her and I began toying with the idea of getting them a dog, until I dealt with certain issues, namely: poop on my carpet; chewed up toys (who knew such tiny teeth could do so much damage); constantly worrying about her (when she was in the backyard I worried about her slipping under the gate or falling into the pool, when she was inside I worried about her bathroom habits); she took over the laundry room and it stunk for the whole week; I worried about her when we were gone for a long time and I had to pack food and water for her whenever we took her somewhere; she whined every morning.....but she was pretty darn cute! So for now I'm thinking we've got a good thing going on here, so we'll just enjoy it while it lasts!

17 comments:

Jodee said...

Awe, she is pretty cute. But I'm with ya on the "certain issues" holding me back from being an actual owner. I do think you have quite a good set up with being able to "borrow" a dog but also to be able to give it back is priceless! Very cute pictures.

Jodee said...

PS, I can't believe Kylie is in a tank top! We just got back from Oregon where it snowed and was freezing! I need to make a visit to sunny AZ- pronto!

Kelly said...

Dogs are the best - once they are trained! We love Apollo to death. He couldn't be a better dog. He's totally self-sufficient (except for the food part). However, it takes a lot of work to get them to that point. The beginning was hard! So I hear ya!

Rohm Family said...

I like the rent-a-dog idea too, Owen asks for a dog almost daily- I told him he could have one when he is 10- hmmm am I crazy? I love the imagination games the kids play- the photographer is the cutest- hehehe
So glad your feeling better! Don't forget to pack your barf bag for FLORIDA- see you in 3 days!

Chelsea said...

Oh my, so much to say! First, Kylie looks like a mini Paris Hilton in the hot pink with the crown & the chiuaua! A MUCH more beautiful version of her though :) Second, I love the pic of Kylie & Bray & her shirt is dripping wet & she has her arm around him, he looks like a giant. Third, I love that YOU can recall all of your creative play as a kid! you have an amazing memory to make up for the lack of smell? Your kids are great at using their imaginations, I am so impressed! especially with the drive-thru. And Kylie is totally speaking my language with the tool belt, I honestly have thought of that before & how much faster I could get "it" all done if it were around my dang waist! she's a smart cookie! And the bottom picture, is she really sleeping? she looks like an angel, they are so cute together!

Janessa said...

Yay for updates! I was hoping you guys had joined the dog owners club too. Really, it sounds like you have a pretty nice set up though. Enjoy it while it lasts! That's so cute that the kids love the dog so much. It is a cute little guy.

Rachel said...

I don't know how you could say you haven't been in the "blogging mood lately". You post about 20 to my 1. I can't even keep up with reading them. Which is why I'm just now telling you congratulations! I'm so excited for you and glad you're feeling better. I'm going with your strategy of waiting a while in between. I wish the play thing worked out. We need to get together soon. See ya!

Brooklyn said...

I love your posts Jamie! I love when my kids play together and use their imagination. There is nothing better! I never got your message about Matukus island. I saw you wrote on my blog about it. I'm so glad your feeling better, and that you all had a great spring break!

Marisa said...

I'm so glad you're having more good days than bad! I totally laughed at Kylie telling you to speed up the throwing up. That's hilarious. And I don't get, either, what's so fascinating about watching mom's throw up (ewwww, gross). I totally agree that "rent a pup" is the best of dog. After my doggy post...it's pretty clear how I feel about dogs.

Rachel said...

As you know, I was a failure as a dog owner. Dogs are great when they belong to someone else, but I am so over wanting a dog!

I can't believe you are still puking. You poor poor thing. Check out the little 8 day old baby on my blog and you will be reminded that it is all worth it!

Pam Jorgensen said...

we keep going back and forth...we want a dog, we don't want a dog...I like your solution way better!!

Suni said...

Now that is my kind of dog...you lucked out! My girls keep asking for a dog but I just don't think I have it in me! Oh and I love how cute your kids play together, so sweet!

kemptons said...

What an awesome solution. LUCKY!!! It seems like I fight the question, "can we have a dog" every day! And by the way I swear you do more fun outings with your kids then anyone I know. I can't compete!

Kandice said...

You have to get a either when you don't have kids yet or when your kids are old enough to train them. The puppy stage is soooo hard, but once the training is done they are great.

Nichols Family said...

Everyone I know who has a dog tells me not to get one! But yeah, wasn't that funny at the park when you all had a huge fan club? Glad you had a fun Spring Break and I hope you start feeling back to normal soon...umm...is there a normal when you're pregnant?

Angie Whitman said...

I love how funny your stories are. I'll never forget puking and barely making it to the kitchen sink and my girls would just STARE. It felt like I was some weird circus act that they couldn't look away from.
I was relieved to see that you didn't get your own puppy! We made that mistake while I was pregnant and it was okay until Jax got here. It is another BABY to take care of, for sure!

Angie Whitman said...

I love how funny your stories are. I'll never forget puking and barely making it to the kitchen sink and my girls would just STARE. It felt like I was some weird circus act that they couldn't look away from.
I was relieved to see that you didn't get your own puppy! We made that mistake while I was pregnant and it was okay until Jax got here. It is another BABY to take care of, for sure!