Sunday, October 06, 2013

Forgiveness

Then comes the day that will go down in history as the day we sat on the couch for 12 hours straight.  Jayden woke up with an ear infection and the sky was looking just as ornery, so I thought it would be a great day to stay in jammies, pop some popcorn and watch movies. By 2:30 I was clawing at the windows to get out of the house, but you know how doing absolutely nothing just wears you out and you have no energy to even put clothes on.  My back-up plan was dinner at 3:00 and bedtime at 4:00, but nobody was buying it. So we defaulted back to the couch for another round of movies.  We all felt lazy and grumpy and I missed being able to just whip out some craft projects or activities to keep them busy.  I finally bought my first pad of paper and package of pens last week, and that's the extent of our craft supplies.  My kitchen shears even double as craft scissors.  Along with a few board games, their only source of non electronic entertainment are a few bins of legos, trains and Little People. That's it. I rely heavily on the great outdoors to entertain these kids, so when the weather is crummy it's easy to fall into a downward spiral of boredom, electronic bingeing, fighting and lots of time outs. Me included. After I threw a tantrum that would put any 2 year old to shame, I put myself in time out. Kylie knocked on my door and gave me a sweet note and a flower she picked from the yard. So grateful for her example and so grateful that each new day brings a new beginning.


And this new day with its new beginning had every redeeming quality I was looking for.  A picnic and jungle adventure at the Riccarton Bush.  With baby ducklings and homemade swords to boot.


I love that the kids always have their eyes peeled for heart shaped rocks, shells and leaves to shower me with.  Sometimes I feel so undeserving.  I'm grateful for kids who are so quick to forgive and forget.
















2 comments:

Jodee said...

Sometimes we all need days like that. But how nice you got out to explore too. I love the homemade swords and that note from Kylie--the best!

Janessa said...

Awe, what a sweet girl. She has always been very thoughtful and sweet like that. I love the eternal quest for hearts for mom. Sweet kids! Nice follow up to a not so great day. That's hard when the weather doesn't cooperate! I love the magical forest pictures. What a fantastic place to explore. The little swords are so cute! I love seeing pics of your new friends too! Lucky kids:)