Saturday, August 16, 2008

Overwhelmed

My friend said it best when saying that "being a Mormon is stressful!". Yes, we know we get blessings for being obedient and there's a reason that we do what we do, but let's face it, it can be stressful trying to keep up with everything! Recently our stake has requested that every family has atleast a 2 week supply of water. There has been a lot of speculation as to why, especially since the last time a stake in our area made a request like this Hurricane Katrina happened shortly afterwards and they were able to use all the water to ship to those in need. I'm not making any speculations, but it does make me re-evaluate how prepared we are. I was so excited that Jason finished the shelves under our stairs so that I can finally have a place to keep my food storage (what I would give for the basement I had in Utah!). My food storage isn't much, but atleast it's a start (I've been going with the "buy things that you use" route, and so far it looks like at the end of the world we'll be eating cold cereal, flour and soy sauce). I'm just feeling a bit overwhelmed. I'm getting my water and food supply built up, but what about all the toiletries, emergency stuff, medications, etc.? It's stressful! Not to mention all the other worries that us mom's, particularly mormon moms, have to deal with:

Am I doing a good enough job teaching my kids about the gospel? How do I keep them more reverent at church? Is my scripture study effective? Am I attending the temple enough? Are my kids eating healthy enough? Are my kids getting enough exercise? Are my kids watching too much tv? Did they get their homework done? Am I spending enough time playing with them? How do I keep the house clean and organized without neglecting my kids? Did they brush their teeth? Did I remember to pack lunches? Am I finding time to teach Jayden his letters and numbers? Should I be volunteering more at school? What can I do about these scorpions, we just found another one outside the kids bedrooms? I should be doing more to develop my talents, but what and when? I keep hearing scary stories about immunizations, am I making the right choice to immunize this next baby? Am I giving them enough chores to teach them responsibility? Should I start allowances so I can teach them how to manage money? How can I plan more effective FHE's? Am I patient but not lenient? Am I firm but not mean? Am I sympathetic without coddling? Am I teaching them good manners? Am I staying on top of my journaling/scrapbooking? Should we be starting their college fund now? Am I doing all that I can for my calling? Do they have clean clothes to wear? Am I shelterig them too much or not enough? Am I making the most of my time? Am I staying within the budget? Is there a healthy home cooked meal, that my kids will actually eat, on the table every night? What can I do to strengthen my marriage? What traditions am I passing on to my kids? Did I do my visiting teaching? Am I spoiling my kids? Am I serving as much as I should? And the list goes on....It's amazing that us moms even get any sleep at night! I guess all that I can do is try my best and hope it's enough.

17 comments:

Chelsea said...

holy cow...you nailed it sista! hilarious, and oh sooo true. I think I'm going to hit up Lifelink Church tomorrow, so low key ;)

BUT..its all for the greater good! we will be blessed for being prepared! your shelves look awesome, they look so tall I thought I was looking at a clean pantry!

Janessa said...

I hear ya and feel your stress! Not that I'm the final judge, but I think you're doing a fabulous job balancing it all. Your food storage it looking great! You are so good to listen to what is being asked of you and then to do what you need to do - even if it does add more stress. You are a great example! (Hope nothing bad is about to happen. Yikes!)

Jodee said...

I totally do this very same thing from time to time. I start listing all the things that I don't think I am doing my best at or even doing at all and start to freak out a little. It is so hard to do it all! Just breath, you are doing just fine! Your kids are smart, happy, secure, and well loved. I love you!

Diana said...

you have no idea how much I worry, and right now, I'm thinking about pretty much all of your thoughts a lot. Sigh. Hopefully our best is enough!

Fabulous Fur Babies! said...

Yes, your best is enough!! You are such an awsome Mom and wife, and you are doing a great job already with all the things you are worried about. Just keep it up, notice the tender mercies from the Lord along the way, and get enough sleep (that's the hard part!) I love you and are so proud of you, dear!
Love, Mom

Mindy said...

You are one of the best Moms I know. Probably because you worry about all of those things. But don't get too stressed. You are doing awesome! One day at a time!

Shanen said...

OH man Jamie, I just had tears in my eyes reading this. You said it so perfect. I have been SOO stressed with all of this also. I feel like a Food Storage Nazi over here and I have so far to go still. But I have been canning, buying extra items and yes of course water. Am I gonna be prepared enough??? It is a constant worry. Jason did a great job making you shelves. What a blessing.

I read the past post also. Your canvas paintings turned out so good. I never did see the final product that night.

Just keep pluggin away and we will be rewarded for our valient efforts.

Chelsea said...

p.s.
did you add more worries in here? :)

I have a good book you can borrow about a safe vaccination plan...but it does recommend to space them out one at a time starting at age 2. Let me know if you wanna borrow it!

Tyler and Margaret said...

Jamie! Oh my goodness, you are super Mom. If you don't know your awesome, then the rest of us are in big trouble!!

Tasha Peterson said...

Thank you Jamie I now have some new stuff to add to my list of stress!!! Good Job :)

Cammi said...

It is so hard! There is definitely always something that needs to be done. It's a balancing act that requires constant re-evaluation. I think you are doing a fantastic job. I am on a food storage kick too. I am going to email you about that ;-)

Kandice said...

I am in love with you organized pantry, I wish I was that neat. The funny thing is when Wade saw your post he said that is how his pantry would look. Too bad it never will being married to me. :)

MommyRohner said...

You took the words right out of my mouth. Are you my long lost twin? We think just the same.

Kristin said...

Wow, I couldn't agree more! you always seem to take my thoughts and write them down for me... Thanks for making me feel that worrying and stressing over this food storage thing is normal, I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one who hadn't got everything together. I would hav eto say that we will be eating a lot of cold cereal, rice, and fruit snacks...

Andrea said...

You are the greatest mom! Never doubt that! But, from experience, your Stake President knows what he's talking about. He is a very intune man. Good to know. I have the water bins (or whatever you call them) I just need them filled and I should have my water checked off the list with a little extra for the hot times.
You think Jason wants to build me some storage under my stairs? I am so out of space to store stuff - and I hate things under the beds. Any other great storage places?

Alisa Larson said...

Thanks for stressing me out Jamie! :-) Year supply is a bit scary, I finally finished mine and it's a load off.....but apparently I have many more things to stress about.....I think I'll go find some chocolate!

marcee said...

K... so TRUE!!! I can't believe all of the worries we have, compiled with all of the daily tasks that sometimes overshadow the necessary long-term things we should also be doing! Insane! It's so nice to know that we ALL feel like this...