Thursday, June 28, 2018

April

April started out with our inaugural lake trip. It's always exciting taking the boat out for the first trip of the season, although this time the excitement quickly wore off after the rope got caught in the prop. We cut the rope with a butter knife and tried unsuccessfully to untangle it for a good half hour as we drifted into the reeds. We finally waved down some good samaritans who kindly towed us back to the dock. A new prop, new tow rope and new radio dial on the back of the boat that was ripped off from the rope. It was an expensive first trip. Once we got the rope untangled we took it out for one last run during the golden hour and I'm glad we were able to end the trip on a better note. As the kids get older they are more interested in hanging out with friends so I love that the lake is something we all love no matter the ages and it's fun getting to know their friends more when they invite them out with us. Looking forward to another fun summer on the water!







My kids aren't huge readers but in an effort to instill the love of books I bought these reading lamps and book ledges for their rooms. I have them read at least 15 minutes before bed but many times I come to tuck them in and they beg to read just a few more pages. And many times I come in and find Ryder sound asleep with a book open on his chest. It's my new favorite thing. That, and Maddox using his fake glasses to read. 



Maddox has always had an affinity for mustaches, stemming from his "strange man from Las Vegas" days. He recently rekindled that love in the form of a dollar store 'stache. He gently places it beside his bed every night and puts it on first thing in the morning. As he put on the frame of his glasses he casually mentioned, "I think I like this look" as if he were trying on a new shirt and was ready to walk out the door to school without a second thought. Love this boy.


Kylie had dance photos at 5 am one morning. It was brutal getting up so early but seeing the sun peak around the mountains as these beautiful girls struck graceful poses was so stunning. This program has been so good for her, she has made some great friends and we have been blown away by the talent. Her teacher is phenomenal and we are so sad that she is leaving to teach English in Africa, yeah yeah I know it's a good cause but she will be missed and will be impossible to replace!








I was able to chaperone Maddox's field trip to Skateland. He was so excited to have me there, especially since I opted out of the earlier Kartchner Caverns field trip, me and caves don't mix. It was fun spending time with him, and Jason surprised us and stopped by on his lunch break. And by surprise I mean he walked by and grabbed my butt and I whipped around thinking it was another dad chaperone. That stinker.





I was so excited that Jayden decided to sign up for track so that I could relive my glory days. He is a natural runner and I was excited to see what he could do with some training. It was a little more challenging with the intense heat at those after school practices, but he worked hard and I was proud of him for trying something new.  He ran the 400m and 800m, which were my races, and he made me proud! We also had Troy's family come and stay in April, but that is another post of its own!







No comments: