Thursday, December 14, 2017

The moment I realized she was all grown up


I have seen Kylie dance so many times over the years and each time is beautiful and strikes a sense of pride deep within. Usually she is in a sea of other dancers but this time her high school company teacher chose her to do a duet and I loved seeing her hard work and talent put right in the spot light. I was amazed by her grace, beauty, flexibility and mostly that I was capable of producing a girl like that! When she was born she was a separate little body, but was still so connected to me. My heart beating outside my chest. As she grew a little older she was still so much a part of who I was and I was the same for her. When we were apart, whether for five minutes in the other room or an evening out, she always greeted me with the same expression, eyes wide, mouth open and a little squeal of excitement to be reunited. When she left for school she would me write notes and draw pictures on the back of her papers, letting me know that I still consumed a large portion of her thoughts and heart. I was the center of her universe, but gradually over time that universe of hers began to be filled with friends, boys, music, dance, school, snap chat and beef jerky. She started to form her own ideas and opinions about the world around her, gained confidence and found insecurities. Somewhere along the way she no longer shared my same heart beat, but found a beat of her own. I may not be the center of her universe, but I hope she knows I am her grounding force, a constant that will always be there for her. Watching her up there, I had a moment. So proud it hurts. I wish I could upload the whole dance but the file is too big, but here's a little clip.







She had several other dances, but that duet stole the show.








She has had such a great experience being on the school team, this is her cute teacher in the black dress. Good job girls, the whole show was amazing!



No comments: