Sunday, December 03, 2017

Halloween 2017

I love the holidays and hope the kids look back fondly on all the traditions, because it takes a lot of work! We didn't make it to the faux pumpkin patch this year, the weekends just got busy and the mercury never dipped below 100, which it's never fun sweating through the corn maze. I did do our week of Halloween themed after school snacks, I kept it safe this year and avoided the graham cracker band aids and bloody finger hot dogs which still make the kids dry heave whenever they talk about it. I also did the Halloween lunches, because food is my love language. I only did it for the little guys, thinking Kylie and Jayden probably wouldn't want to drink from a crepe paper wrapped mummy juice box, but I was happy when they told me they missed their Halloween lunch. They did get a black and orange twinkie as a consolation prize.



Every year I look for alternatives to carving pumpkins, because I really really don't like doing it, and this year painting the pumpkins was a big hit. I think this is a tradition we'll keep.








We pulled out the costume box and had a laugh as the kids tried on all the old costumes. Camel toe and all.




We went to the ward trunk or treat, but I didn't get any pictures. Just imagine a costume parade, lots and lots of candy and Ryder crying because he was forced to eat chili. Jayden didn't know what he wanted to be until the last minute when Kylie volunteered to do zombie make up for him. I wasn't quite sure she knew what she was doing when she started out




But when she finished I saw her vision and was so impressed! I don't know what's creepier, that make-up or Jayden's infamous white eyes.



Maddox picked out these Halo costumes a month ago during one of his on-line shopping jaunts. It got 4.75 stars, so it met his approval.



And Kylie had a few wardrobe changes this year. The fun all started the week before when she begged me to take her to Goodwill late at night. I had just put on my pajamas and really didn't want to put a bra back on, but she convinced me and it ended up being one of my favorite nights with her. We went in for some overalls and left $55 later with shoes, clothes, DVD's and a Christmas tree. Nothing good and everything good comes from late night Goodwill runs. They were vampires one night when they went to a party.



And my favorite was the night they went as thugs. She was a dead ringer for Post Malone. This girl cracks me up. And so do those painted on eyebrows.




On actual Halloween she went to a party with friends as a tourist.


We did our mystery dinner Halloween night. No matter how early I start dinner, it always seems like such a rush getting dinner on the table, costumes on and kids out the door for trick or treating. Maybe because I spent an hour making floating candles for decorations that didn't really even work.




Jayden went trick or treating and hung out with friends, so for the first year it was just us and the little guys. We invited Dawn and her kids to go around on the golf cart with us too so we weren't as lonely. They got enough candy to each fill an entire drawer in their nightstand and the next morning I dealt with the wrath of the sugar crash and no sleep. After non stop tears all morning I was never happier to send them off to school, where I could enjoy the quiet house and relish in the memories of happier times from the night before. Happy Halloween.

No comments: