Thursday, July 23, 2009

The Good Old Days

It makes me sad how deprived my kids are. At their age I remember spending my summers outdoors from sun up to sun down exploring the mountain in our backyard, building tree huts and riding bikes around the neighborhood. So many of life's lessons were learned during those summer days outdoors and I'm beginning to realize how much my kids are missing out. Even if it wasn't a blazing 110 degrees outside, it makes me sad that we live in a time where our kids can't even ride their bikes in the front yard without having to worry about them. That reason alone makes me want to move out to a farm. Every time we visit my aunt and grandparent's in southern Utah I love that my kids can finally be kids. They disappear outside the minute they wake up and the only time I see them all day is when they want to show me the fort they built or the dances they made up or the critters that they caught (well, except when Jayden got tired of being the only boy and found a friend in the Star Wars Wii game. His favorite time of day was when Uncle Wade would come home and they would watch Star Wars together) They got nice and dirty, went on frog hunts, tried to catch baby racoons, fed the horses (and almost got stampeded)and I tried not to worry too much when Kylie and her 9 year old cousins would ride all over the place on the 4 wheelers. My aunt gave me a hard time about being a city girl when I was hesitant to let her ride down to the corner store and buy candy. Something they do all the time and something I would never dream of letting her do here. I'm just glad my kids were able to finally be kids, even if it was for only a week.
I was looking forward to celebrating an old fashioned 4th of July and was sad that their little town did all the big parades and fireworks on the 24th so we had our own little parade and the kids loved decorating their own "floats".
They did have races for the town where everyone got to race in their age group. Jayden came in first place for his age group and he couldn't have been more proud of his dollar bill grand prize. There was this sweet old man that told Jayden before that he was betting his money on him so when he won he gave him 4 quarters, it was so sweet. Jayden was a sweetheart also when he gave Kylie 2 of his quarters since she didn't win. Here he is showing off his winnings with one of my other cousins that is only a month younger then him. They had the best time playing mad scientists and making potions and he was sad when she had to go back home after the weekend.
We had the best time doing our own little fireworks show. Maddox even got to stay up past his bedtime and sat there in awe the entire time. I don't think he blinked once.
Afterwards we played my favorite old time classic: night games. I loved initiating my kids, it was like a right of passage. We dressed up in dark clothes then stayed out all night playing hide and go seek and capture the flag. SO much fun.My aunt is only 10 years older than me and has kids the same age as mine, so it's easy to forget that she is my kids' great aunt and that her kids are actually their second cousins. My grandparents built an addition onto their house a couple of years ago so they have this huge house now where there's always family coming down looking for any excuse to party. My other aunt and a couple of my brothers came down too so it was fun playing with everybody. I was excited that we were able to see my brother and his wife who were visiting from Iowa with their adorable little baby. It was a non stop party, we had some pretty rowdy card games and I think I gained 10 lbs from eating non stop. Jayden wasn't used to the round the clock eating, when we sat down one night to eat dinner he said, "but we just barely ate!"I don't know who was more excited about the riding lawn mower, Jayden or Jason. Seriously. After spending the 4th with us, Jason had to go back to work in Vegas the next week but made them promise to let him mow the lawn again when he got back. Kylie and the older girls spent all day doing scavanger hunts for everybody. The girls had a wedding for the chickens, here they are enjoying their first kiss as a married couple.
They decided to have a water day one day and had this whole back yard beach party thing going on, complete with snowcones and a show. It was seriously the perfect summer vacation....

9 comments:

Jodee said...

I love reading about your adventures at your aunts house. It always makes me want to move out of town and buy up some land. How fun for the kids to be able to be so carefree. And fun for you to not have to entertaint them constantly. Night games are the best! We used to do that all the time with cousins in the summer. I think I need a trip out to your Aunts house too... I am an honorary Jolley afterall...

Amber! said...

How fun! I hear what you're sayin' about sad times. I go into a panic whenever the kids are outside. It is very different from the times when we were growing up. I do wish I had a place like Nephi to take the kiddos. Tear.

Janessa said...

Chicken weddings, back yard beach party, fireworks and homemade parade...The fun never ends at Angel's house! The only thing that could have made it better is if we were there - right? :) I'm so glad you got to have such a fun week there and that take advantage of the opportunity to visit Angel when you can. I would LOVE to go spend a week there with you guys! Her house is seriously heaven on earth for kids and adults a like. I'm glad you got to see Tyler and Margaret and meet Shannon too. That's a cute picture of you and Tyler with your babies. I can't wait for the Jolley reunion next year when we can all be together.

Janessa said...

P.S. I love the night game pictures. I have some of the best night game memories. How fun that Kylie and Jayden got to be initiated into the club. You guys are serious about your night games.

The Morris Fam said...

So much fun! All of our kids ARE missing out. That's why we have got to do lots of trips all the time! You guys looked like you had a blast. And there's nothing like cousins entertaining your own kids. What a great fourth of July!!

Cammi said...

That looks like a ton of fun. I agree about the kids missing out. Most of my childhood memories involve playing outside morning to night with my cousins. Now, I feel like I have to keep my kids in my sight ALL the time! I feel bad for them. I'm glad you guys got to have a whole week of good ol' country fun!!

Pays said...

How fun! It's too bad we just missed you guys. You will have to come down to Grandma's for Thanksgiving. Then we can do some after Thanksgiving day shopping. Such fun pictures!!

nicole said...

I never thought I'd hear you called a city girl, but I guess it's true. And I don't know when you changed the picture at the top of your blog, but Kylie looks like your mini-me.

Chelsea said...

Darn you. Everytime you post about this farm, I feel sudden guilt that my kids are deprived and shout at Jeremy to find us a house in the country!