Sunday, July 27, 2008

A Little Bling-Bling

The rule in our family growing up was that you had to be 13 to get your ears pierced. I remember that it was such a big deal and I couldn't wait for the big day. Now that I have my own little girl I decided that instead of setting an age rule, I would just let her decide when she was ready to do it. She has talked about it for a while now, but was always too scared that it would hurt too much. Then at the beginning of the summer she decided that she was brave enough to do it since she wasn't in kindergarten anymore. I told her that I would give her the summer to think about it and if she still wanted to do it then we would make it a special occasion right before school started. She was all excited about it until about a week before when we were at the mall and happened to watch a little girl get her ears pierced. After that she decided she wanted to wait until she was 10. I didn't push the issue, I wanted it to be her choice and after a couple of days she decided she would go through with it. School starts on Monday so this past Saturday we had a little girls day out and I took her to get it done. She was cute and wanted to bring her own bear to hold (Wes, do you recognize the bear? It's the one you gave her when she was born. She even had to dress it in her favorite outfit). She was a little nervous but mostly excited. She kept asking me to pinch her ear every couple of minutes to show her how bad it would hurt. Finally it was her turn and she was so brave! I know I flinched more when I got mine done at 13 years old! There was another little girl who was watching her get it done and after she saw that she didn't cry she decided that she wanted to get hers done too. Judging by Kylie's reaction she must have thought that it didn't hurt at all, so the look on her face when they did the first one was hilarious (okay, that's mean to laugh). She burst into tears and they had to wrestle her down to get the other one in. Poor girl. (My memory card got filled up as soon as it was done so the video is short, but atleast I got it.) She is constantly admiring her ears and can't wait to show them off to her friends at school tomorrow.

9 comments:

Janessa said...

I've been wondering if she went through with it or not. There wasn't a post up last night when I went to bed so here I am bright and early checking in. She did it! I'm so proud of her. She was so brave! Way to go Kylie!!! Abby's been anxious to hear Kylie's report on the event. That video clip was a very good one for Abby to see. We'll have to call you later today to get the full report from Kylie. Oh wait, I guess it will have to be - after school! Crazy! Tell Kylie we're so impressed with her braveness and we hope her and Jayden have a fun first day of school. We'll have to call you for sure this afternoon! Enjoy a quite day to yourself!

Jodee said...

You guys are starting school already? I guess you are on that crazy, it's too hot outside, I guess we should just go to school, schedule huh? Anyway, I am SO impressed with Kylie's bravery. She didn't flinch one bit! What a cutie! I am debating on showing this to Madison. She hasn't come to me and asked for that yet but if she sees that Kylie did it I know she will be wanting them too! Maybe I will wait until she asks...

The Ayers Family said...

I was holding my breath with her! She is SO brave! I remember the alcohol from the wipes beforehand burned my ears after I had mine done(I was 6)and it hurt! My eyes watered for at least twenty minutes!

Chelsea said...

Holy crap!! That girl is brave! I still remember the exact way it felt, and it hurt! She'll probably be one of those women who has all her babies without any drugs!

Pam Jorgensen said...

WOW! She did great! I got mine done when I was 10...I told Rylee she could have hers done when she gets baptized. I'm nervous though...can she take care of them? Not lose them? You'll have to keep me informed on how Kylie does with hers this next year.

Nichols Family said...

That's so cute, she was so brave. I remember whining about it a lot more than I really needed to when I got mine done. :)

Angie Whitman said...

How cute. That looks so familiar! We just went thru that at the beginning of the summer. I was terrible about remembering to clean them after the first week, but so far, no problems! Hooray!

You look great, by the way. I wouldn't hate being pregnant as much if I could stay as small as you do. Being pregnant in the summer does stink though!

Suni said...

She is brave!! Abby wants her ears pierced but she is too scared!!

Heidi Ann said...

Girls are so fun to papmer and it's so much fun to watch them feel pretty! She's definitley brave!