Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Rantings of a Hot (temp wise, not sexy wise), Cranky, Pregnant Woman (consider yourself warned)

Jason's been traveling ALOT and since I've already watched every episode of "A Baby Story" (and emberassingly enough cried every time the baby came out--despite how obnoxiously cheesy the parents are, I still can't help but get a little teary. I'm so lame.), there's nothing left to do but blog and wallow in my self pity as a temporary single mom.

I was so excited for summer to come, I had visions of blissful playdates, late night pajama parties and endless fun. What I hadn't planned for was the non-stop fighting, tattling, cabin fever, constant clutter and boredom. I used to take pride in the fact that my kids were the best of friends, I remember going days without as much as a disagreement between them. Now it seems like they go from bosom buddies to mortal enemies in 6.2 seconds and I'm at the end of my rope. It doesn't help that all my summer plans have to revolve around these ridiculous gas prices. Yeah, $85 a tank will do that to you. We are either sitting at home all day or else I plan to get every possible errand done in one day so that I don't have to go out again. I'm just asking for trouble. I do miss the days of having so much free time to do errands while the kids were in school. A quick Wal-Mart trip turns into an all day affair, especially when we have to make 3 potty breaks, one of which is when Jayden conducts his business. This is not a simple matter, no it involves atleast a 20 minute time block, clothes completely stripped off and an occasional verse of "Jesus wants me for a Sunbeam" echoing through the bathroom stalls. It doesn't help that "my" cashier isn't working that day either and only the cranky old ladies are available. Yes, that is a sign that I spend WAY too much time at Wal-mart when I have my own cashier (and the fact that the word "Wal-mart" is mentioned in 50% of my posts). We're on a first name basis...he asks about my pregnancy, I ask about his girlfriend and pretend to act interested because it means that he price-matches my milk for $1.99 every time, even if it's not on sale. We've also become quite chummy with the bakery lady. She sneaks my kids 2 cookies each instead of one. Friday is her last day, she got promoted to cake decorating at another store, maybe I should send balloons....oh the exciting life of a stay-at-home mom. I really don't know where I'm going with all this, but it does feel kind of good to do some good old fashioned whining.

Why is it that everytime Jason is gone, all the creepy bugs come out. I've had to kill scorpions and black widows while he's been gone, but none of them compare to the monstrosity of the wolf spider the other night. I did use his shoe to do the dirty work, I thought it was only fair. I have never seen a spider so juicy and the thought of that green slime I had to clean up makes me vomit in my mouth all over again.

Somewhere intertwined with all the fighting, my kids do still make me laugh on occasion. Jayden believes that any hair that sprouts on his arm or leg is a definate sign that he is reaching manhood. He'll proudly admire the hair glistening in the light and check every day to see if he has grown any more. Today he was showing off his leg hairs to me, but as soon as I tried to feel it he immediately pulled his leg back and said, "Stop! You're going to rub it off and then I'll have to start all over again!" The fact that he is completely serious is what makes me laugh the most.

Now I'm feeling guilty for all my venting, we have had a fun summer for the most part and I really do love my kids. But speaking of guilt....yesterday was one of "those" days. Kylie's prayer at dinner time pretty much summed up her attitude towards me all day when she said "thankyou that Jesus loves the kids more than the parents". By the end of the day I was completely out of patience and energy and was counting down the minutes until bedtime. Kylie had a huge melt down after dinner and I'm sure it's because of all the late nights and lack of sleep, so I especially wanted her to get a good night sleep. I put them in bed at 7:30 and by 9:00 Kylie was still awake and had been calling me up there every 15 minutes for one thing or another. The last time I completely lost it, I stormed up the stairs, threw open her door and demanded to know why she was still awake. Apparently she was still awake because she had been working on this:
Worst mother of the year award goes to Moi.

11 comments:

Janessa said...

Yes I was up late last night leaving you a comment and look, here I am again first thing in the morning. That's how life is when your hubby's out of town and your trying to get caught up on your blogging. I was actually going to just read your post and then leave a comment later so that you wouldn't know that I was on the computer again bright and early this morning. I couldn't wait to leave a comment though. You're tearing at my heart strings. I can't tell you how much I wish I was there to hang out with you and give you a much deserved break. We all have our days, weeks and even an ocassional month when it just seems like it's impossible to function as a happy, patient loving mom. Being pregnant and having Jason gone so much gives you that much more leverage. Just think family reunion and all your worries will disapear. Okay, maybe not, but we'll pamper you and make sure you are good and relaxed before throwing you back into reality. More about your post - I love your Wal-Mart family. You should see if any of them are avaiable that first week of July to join us at the cabin. I think ballons would be nice for the promotion. I remember being on the phone when Jayden was doing his business at Wal-Mart. You're right. That is not a quick event. Kylie's prayer is too funny. I'm sure it's one my kids have thought before. And that picture. That is so sweet. I can totally see me doing something like you did. Motherhood can be so tricky. I love you tons Jamie. I hope you have a great anniversary today. I will call you later. (I think that was the longest comment I've ever left. Sorry.)

Jodee said...

Sorry, but I just got a pretty good laugh. Maybe that isn't what you were looking for but I almost peed my pants laughing at Jayden doing his business in Wal-Mart and that you know the bakery lady well enough to contemplate sending flowers. Oh Jame, how I miss you so! I totally relate with the counting down till bedtime and the guilt associated, and I'm not even preggers! Hang in there, and happy anniversary to you guys!

Chris and Sally said...

At least I know I'm not the only one with kids that love each other one minute and hate each other the next. Kate told me yesterday that she wanted to send Peyton back to wherever he came from. Nice.
I love that you cry at A Baby Story, I always cry too. I don't know why, most of the parents seem really crazy and irritating but I can't get over the miracle of that little baby. I wish I could blame my emotional instability on pregnancy but I can't. I'm a crybaby.

Julie said...

I felt like you were writing down my life exactly...LOL so funny!! I love whining...some days you just have to get it out..I think we all can sympathize with everything you said...So cute the picture Kylie made for you...I find myself getting caught in situations like that...I the heat of my moments Noelle will say or do something really sweet and really make me feel bad for being angry in the first place. I am sorry Jason has been gone so much...Hopefully there is an end in sight!

Nichols Family said...

My boys beat the crap out of eachother all day long! Oh, I can relate PLUS some. So, I was cracking up at your whole post! I loved it! Also, you can come play at our house anytime! So, I like the name Damon the best!

nicole said...

Jamie - your post made me laugh :) I'm hot and miserable too, and I don't even have any kiddos. What is this "A Baby Story" you speak of??? What channel does it come on? I also have an absent husband which equals lots of TV time for me.

The Morris Fam said...

I'm not even going to start on how many times I lost it on the boys when I was pregnant. The Kylie story is one for the books though. What a cute little picture. And no more watching the baby story show while you're pregnant... it would always make me cry and get worried about pregnancy complications! Just don't do it!! Miss you guys!

Chelsea said...

sweet kylie! wow she is good! way to work it. I do feel sorry for you, Jason has been gone a whole LOT lately! Don't know how you do it. Once school starts again and little Kylie and Jayden are having their space, I'm sure they'll be back to best buddies in no time! aren't you glad our summers are so short!! I love the year round schedule!

Suni said...

Oh I think we all have those days and weeks with our kids. I loved Kylie's prayer, I get those prayers ALL the time from Abby! You are a great mom, I am sure it is hard having Jason gone, being prego, and its so dang hot!! We need to set up a play date!!

Cammi said...

It's so good to hear that even you get frustrated sometimes. My boys fight ALL THE TIME. It drives me insane. And I haven't figured out anything that helps to stop it. And yet, they insist on being together all of the time. It makes no sense. You're doing a great job being a good mom while Jason is gone. Give yourself some credit! And wow - you really do live at Walmart!?! I have been trying to give myself breaks from that store - and I almost never have even one child with me to do grocery shopping. I'd rather go hungry! You're still SuperMom in my eyes!

Mindy said...

Wow, it is nice to know I am not alone in the crazy summer-ness. The kids are just looking for trouble. They are so bored. School can't start soon enough. Bailey needs some social interaction with kids her age...and I need a break!