Monday, April 14, 2014

Royals

Kate is definitely my woman crush wednesday. I just adore her. She is such a classy lady and in a world of Miley Cyrus' it's so refreshing to have a positive role model for girls to look up to. And I'd give my firstborn to have her wardrobe. Just kidding (but my fourth born may be up for consideration. I kid.). So when I heard they were coming to Christchurch as part of their New Zealand tour I packed up an arsenal of snacks far too indecent for Ryder to eat before 11 am and joined the thousands of other people in the cold just hoping to catch a glimpse of the royals.




Just as Ryder flipped the stroller over and used it as a pirate ship while on lookers shook their heads and whispered about where that boy's mother was, they arrived. Ryder tried crawling through people's legs so that he could see what all the fuss was about. A sweet lady in the very front picked him up and gave him a front row seat while others around her let me squeeze in so that I could be closer to him. Having a kid has its perks sometimes. Those people had been there since 6 AM to secure their spot and here we come rolling up 10 minutes before the event and get prime seating. Now, I'm more of a Prince Harry kind of girl myself and Kate was the real reason I showed up today, so when they each took a side I was so disappointed that Kate was working the other crowd and Will was on our side. But as he got closer I was in total awe. I mean, Princess Diana's son was within arms reach. Kylie and I had stayed up until some crazy hour of night watching and rewatching his marriage to Kate, and now he was standing so close to me that I could see the wrinkles around his eyes when he smiled and wonder about the small scar on his forehead. He was so gracious and kind, and when he came to Ryder he shook his hand. Seriously, Ryder shook the hand of the future king. My view was blocked by a top knot so I didn't get a chance to see it, but the lady holding him told me all about it. Ryder was less than impressed by the whole ordeal, he was more worried that I would leave and kept his eye on me at all times. I talked to him afterwards about how cool that was that he got to shake hands with a real prince. He told me he wanted to shake a fireman's hand instead. But one day this will be a cool story to share. And thank goodness Dennis Rodman at Caesar's palace isn't my only celebrity encounter anymore.








(Mr. Bean was keeping a close eye on the situation)






We watched them play a short game of cricket with some kids. Ryder watched episodes of Team Umizoomi on youtube while I balanced above the crowds on a wheel of the stroller to get these pictures. I lost my dignity earlier at the upturned stroller, so falling off a wheel a few times for the sake of a photo wasn't below me. Kate is just as stunning in person as she is on all those glossy magazine covers. Truly a timeless beauty.








And one last parting shot behind the cuff link of a stranger. I am still starstruck.


5 comments:

Just me said...

Absolutely worth recording all of that in a post! I would have been there too, if I'd been in town :-)

Tyson and Dawn Jolley said...

I am so so glad you got to see them! I still can't believe it. Tell me which hand Prince William shook with Ryder and I'll touch it. Haha. Kate Middleton seriously is amazing - she just seems so perfect! One day I'll get close enough, one day...

Ronnie said...

So fun. I love that some random lady picked up your child. You know she was totally using him and his cuteness to her advantage! What a fun morning. I agree, Kate is all class and beauty. It is refreshing to know there are still famous people out there like her. And good shots lady, I love the one of Prince William throwing the ball and she is smiling in the background. So cute.

Chelsea said...

How cool is that?!

Praise the front row stranger! Darn the topknot! Ryder is the best with his fireman preference! LOL to balancing on the stroller wheel. I love Harry too but Will is just so charming, and he looks JUST like Diana. Kate is gorgeous as always. I can't believe how good of pictures you got! SO close!

Janessa said...

Amazing experience for the record books for sure! I love the way you weasled your way up to the front. Ryder saved the day with his front row buddy. How lucky was that?! I can't believe how close you were to real royalty. Seriously, you were breathing the same air!!! Fabulous shots and such a cool story for Ryder to use as his claim to fame. Totally has to bust this one out when he plays "Two truths and a lie".