Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Meet the Latest Additions


(Jayden in complete disbelief as he realizes Fluffy is eating the fish)

(Jayden freaking out because Kylie is allowing this to take place)


My poor deprived kids...since I'm such a mean mom and still haven't given in and gotten them a pet, they've had to resort to extreme measures. Meet the newest pets in our family...Fluffy, Jack and Zachary B. (and the mechanical fish, but I can't remember their names). So far this has kept everyone happy and Kylie thinks they are soooo lucky because they have 5 pets and most everyone has only 1. We also have a pet moth, Sarah, but she comes and goes. Whenever they see a moth they think it's the one and only Sarah and get so excited. They especially love waking up and finding that she chose to sleep in their room that night. Sometimes we would find dead moths and they would be crushed, but when another moth would show up then they just figured she had been sleeping. The kids treat the stuffed animals like real pets and I'm always finding water bowls around the house. But it doesn't even compare to the new "sister" in the family, Reyna. She is the doll that Kylie got for Christmas last year and when I was a couple months pregnant with Maddox she decided that Reyna was a real baby and that we should treat her like one. I thought this would last a week or two and die down, but no. We have been going about 11 months strong now. I am only allowed to carry Reyna like a real baby and if she catches me treating her as anything less than human than she'll get so hurt and say "real moms don't do that!" I also need to periodically move her around the house throughout the day so that when Kylie comes home she's not in the same place as when she left for school. She has her own carseat and has come on every family vacation. She has been blessed in family prayers. She has been put in time out for "fighting". She has had her toe nails painted. She has her own crib, but usually sleeps with Kylie (unless she is being too loud, then she has to go out). She wears Kylie's baby dresses and comes with us to church. She sits in her high chair at family dinners and does pretty much everything else the family does. I guess now I know what it's like to have 4 kids!

9 comments:

Kelly said...

Seriously Jamie, you write the best blog posts!

Michelle Y. said...

When I first saw the picture and didn't read the post I thought, "I cannont believe JAMIE broke down and bought a gerbil!! Now I am going to have to get my kids a pet!" I am so releived to see that it is a stuffed animal.

Chelsea said...

Oh, the pet guilt. WHY!? I can already feel myself slowly starting to give in. I do think every kid deserves to have a pet at some point. As much as I dont want to admit it ;)

Jodee said...

Hey, at least Kylie takes care of the 4th one right?
I love that Sarah the moth is so sturdy. Madison actually named a moth that Ronnie couldn't get rid of in his office. George I think... He finally "found another office to hang out in"!

The Albertson Family said...

Jamie, you really are so funny and your blogs make me laugh!! It's just like your talking right to us. You should really cave and get a small dog, kinda like Lola, she is very smart and cute as can be. The best part is that if she poops, it's tiny!! Your kids would adore a pet. Love, Kelli

Janessa said...

Why don't you just be a good mom and get your poor kids a real pet...I know where you can get a really cute dog for free:) Okay, if you can sell your kids on stuffed animal pets and moths, you're good. I'm wishing I hadn't been such a sucker for the whole pet thing. Now I have puppy on my record though so if they ever ask again I can say that I gave it a fair try. I love your fourth child addition. That is very nice that Kylie takes care of her like a "real mom" so that you only have to move her around the house a few times a day. I'm very impressed that she's stuck with her for so long. Did Kylie get bangs recently? She looks so cute and grown up!

Amber! said...

I love the name Reyna! And how nice that she has a great mom to take care of her. Who needs more children when there are special dolls around?

Andrea said...

That is too funny! We walked around the pet store one afternoon learning all about what we need to have a goldfish! A simple goldfish! That did it for us - NO PETS - what happened to the days of getting a 10 cent goldfish and putting it in a little bowl at home and letting it die a week later? I don't need to keep buying new tanks for an ever growing fish ... let alone, who takes it when I go out of town? Oh yeah, and the clench - who has to clean the fish bowl? YUCK!

Alisa Larson said...

That is so funny! I love the imagination your kids have!