Sunday, October 14, 2007

Pictureless

I'm bummed, my camera broke! It's just not a blog without some pictures, but I guess I'll have to make do. I just hope we can get a new one soon so I don't miss out on cute Halloween pictures!

Last night some friends were so nice to invite us to the ASU/Washington game where his company has some great seats in the "loge" section. Don't ask me what that means, all I know is that it's a great view, has free food and we were probably the youngest people in that section. We had a blast but I was sad when I realized that I haven't been to a college football game since my BYU years so long ago. It brought back some great memories, although it also made me feel really OLD. Not only did I feel old when we were walking up and reached the obvious seperation point where the youngin's proceeded to the student section and we headed up to the "old fogie" section (as Andrea and I called it), but I felt even older as I found myself rolling my eyes when I saw what all the "younger generation" were wearing. I must admit, I was very impressed with the creative skills of these ASU women, I have never seen so many masterful displays of clothing alterations done to a simple school t-shirt. There were halter tops, midrifts, the one sleeve cut off cave woman look, tank tops, major scoop necks, tops cut off so it hangs off their shoulders displaying all sorts of glittery bras, tube tops, bikinis, and my personal favorites--a t-shirt turned into a mini dress and a t-shirt cut up and held in place by tying the strips of fabric together to prevent a wardrobe malfunction. There may have been a time that I would have been jealous with their clothing recycling skills and yes, I admit I was sheltered at BYU in the world of knee-length shorts and BYU t-shirts that might turn a little risque when somebody rolled up the sleeves to expose a little shoulder. It made me laugh and I realized that I still do live in a little bubble here in Gilbert. It was a fun night, with a great win. ASU is still undefeated--GO SUNDEVILS!! Thanks Andrea for the tickets, thanks Sheba for watching the kids and thanks Jay for a fun date night!

I've been meaning to post this for a couple of weeks, but since scanning this in would require me to actually go upstairs and access the other computer, I've been putting it off.
Last fast Sunday Kylie was sitting next to me drawing pictures when she brought these papers to me and announced that she had written down her testimony and wanted me to go up with her so that she could read it. It was the sweetest thing and I am grateful for her example and the little nudge to get me up there. You may notice the obscure picture of a nose, ear and eye on there. I asked her what they were for and she said very matter-of-factly, "well mom, I have a testimony that there are some people who can't hear, see or smell" (I'm glad to know that she considers my lack of smell a disability). We managed to edit that part out of her testimony when she went up there, I wasn't quite sure how that would come across. The man she drew is Pres. Hinckley and here is the translation: "I know Jesus loves me. I like myself, I like my mom, brother, dad, name of Jesus Christ, amen." So precious.

I'm really enjoying these sweet moments of innocence with her because she seems to be growing up way too fast. The other day I overheard her talking with a friend who was saying "Hannah Montana is so much more fashionable than Lizzie McGuire" (hello, these girls are 5!) and Kylie responds, "yeah, I LOVE Hannah Montana and I know ALL of her songs. Well, sometimes I forget them, but I know them all." Truth be told, she's seen maybe 5 minutes of one episode of Hannah Montana, but I didn't have the heart to say anything. I thought it was funny and sad at the same time that she is growing up so fast and trying to be cool. She also knows that High School Musical 2 is the big craze and talks about it all the time, although she didn't have the attention span to actually sit through the whole thing. I'm not ready for Cinderella to get replaced with Hannah Montana, or Barbie to get replaced by Sharpay, and I'm definately not ready for my baby to grow up!

The other day I used a purse that I hadn't used in a while and I was surprised when Jayden saw it and said, "new purse mom?" I was even more surprised when I was wearing a pair of earrings that Jennifer gave to me and he asked "Jenzy's earrings?" He also found a hair clip Jennifer had left and brought it to me telling me that it was for Jenzy's hair. I didn't even remember seeing her wearing it, so I don't know how he did! I am very amazed at his observational skills, I only wish that we would use them on something other than women's accessories!

10 comments:

Janessa said...

Yes! I haven't been your first comment for a long time. I'm so on top of it today. I'm glad you had fun at the football game. You guys are totally young still. I'll be everyone was wondering how those lucky students got such good seats. Unless your proper atire gave it away that you weren't students. I love Kylie's testimony. What a sweetheart! I'm so glat you scanned it in so that we could all see her notes. I love Jayden's carefuly observations of women's accessories. He'll be giving good gifts to his wife someday. What a stud!

Janessa said...

P.S. That such a bummer about your camera. Don't you feel totally lost without it? I hope you get another one soon! (I'm the first TWO comments!!!)

Brooklyn said...

Oh Jamie! That testimony is so pure and sweet. I can't believe how well she writes! She is so smart it amazes me. Really Jamie, that is THE SWEETEST most PRECIOUS thing. And about Jayden, children absorb EVERYTHING and are so perceptive it is amazing. Kyler says things to me every now and then that remind me of hoe observant they really are. This is so sweet Jamie.

Shanen said...

As a parent you can grow so much from your childs testimony. My Kobi just loves bearing her testimony. She asks every week if today is the day. Almost without fail she is up on that stand. She never did, well she can't even write yet, but she used to stand on the toy chest in the playroom and practice her testimony each day to get ready for Sunday. I so with I had pictures of that. She will have Jayden up there with her before you know it.

Jodee said...

that stinks about the camera! Get a new one quick, I want to see those cute halloween costumes! I cannot believe you haven't been to a game since you were at BYU? Don't worry, I won't tell Ronnie. I am secretly jelouse! Love ya!

Suni said...

I hope you get a camera soon!! Kylie's testimony is so sweet! Don't worry about Jayden, I thinks its growing up with sisters that makes these boys be so observant. My little brother who grew up with three sisters would say "that girl has big hips" we would look at him like seriously...you just said that?!

Chelsea said...

I love it too when Brayden "notices" things, so cute! Kylie's testimony was so adorable, I love how planned out that girl is! everything is sketched on paper! glad you had fun at the game, you old fogie! I know its so true how much you change when you become a mom, you find yourself thinking/acting like what you never thought you would! I will get those pics over to you today!

Michelle Y. said...

I think it is so sad too how fast our kids are growing up. I can see Trevor starting to try to act cool and he is only in first grade. When he has a school friend over I hear him say "dude" a ton and I have never heard him say that before. I really enjoyed fall break so I can shelter him and remold him back to my sweet boy. I loved Kylie's sweet testimony, those sweet moments are priceless.

Rachel said...

Still no new camera? Oh man, I would die if I didn't have mine for one day!

Sheba Price said...

Okay Jamie, you are not old until the missionaries are starting to look like they just got there driving license! Okay?! Too funny about the ASU students. It is truly a fashion show, statement or whatever at the football game.

Your kids are so dang cute! I will totally watch them again in a heart beat! Jayden cracks me up!When I told them I was making pop corn he was sooo excited. He always said thank you when I gave him something too. Another great Mom teaching her kids right! He always wanted to be right by Kylie's side. What a cute little brother! Kylie was also a great translator! :)

Okay and thank you lady for watching mine! I am glad you had the "nasties" to entertain my child with. Too funny Jamie! I just hope Tayler was a help. We are still teaching her how to babysit. SHe is such a good girl!

Seriously I wonder who Kylie takes after? Her testimony is soo sweet and yes it is so amazing to see your kids want to do that. What a spiritual little girl!

Okay all I can say is wait until she figures out that Hannah is coming to town and we are probably the only ones NOT going! Boo hoo! Sorry! not when the tickets are like starting $60!! I would need three! MAYYYBEEE next year! Who knows! Give Kylie one more night with us and she will be singing all of the tunes girl! She will impress that little friend of hers! Even Sophie knows all of the words! Can you tell I am a mom of three girls?